1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Okay... this post may get people mad....but, what is the best way

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen, Jun 12, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    to put a chick or a chicken down?....i have a sick chick at the moment..(hoping i can save her:fl)...but as i was calling around to find vets today...there are none in my immediate area..the closest one i could find was an hour away...and the thought occured to me...what if one of my chicks or chickens had a bad accident or something...and they were dying..or in severe pain and i needed to do something quick for them....what is the best, fastest and no pain involved way to put them down?..i already know i couldnt chop the head off(which to me..may be the best way)..so..any other ways that are painless and quick?..sorry if i get anyone mad at this post...Wendy

2. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Some one sent me a link on a way to euthanise them at home, simple mixture and a pitcher. I cant give you the link, because I had the whole post deleted, but you might could google it, or they might see this and give the link again.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks debbyluvschickens....why was the post deleted?..i do hope someone will give me the link...thanks, Wendy

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Ive heard of people puting them in bags and connecting them to the car exhaust but i'm not sure it its painless Ive never done it and hope never will.

5. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    It was on something similar to your post, but I needed to do it right then, was trying to figure out the best way, in the process I offended someone, and they got kind of rude about it. I took care of my problem and asked a mod to delete the post to save from further offending anyone.

I hope some one will post that link, it was really simple, although that is not the method I used.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
  7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Really, chopping the head off or (probably even better) instantly crushing the skull is the kindest way to do it. Over in an instant, period. IMO it should not depend on what the person likes or doesn't like, it should depend on what's kindest to the animal.

The problem with all of the allegedly 'just goes to sleep' methods is that if you ask people who have survived near-fatal CO2 or CO poisoning, accidents or attempted suicides with industrial solvents like ether, and so forth, they generally do NOT report it being painless and stress-free... the accounts I have read make it clear that there is generally fear and a suffocating feeling. Also a distressingly large number of people find the animal 'coming back to life' later on, sometimes the next day in the garbage (i.e. it was not actually properly killed, only seemed dead).

I'm just sayin'. Do with the information as you wish.

Pat

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks everyone..and patandchickens...i do agree with you!...chopping off the head IS the best way....very quick....i was just wondering..if by chance there were any other ways to do it..that were just as quick..?....i know it is about the chicken..and not causing them any extra pain or stress or fear..i just wish i had it in me to do it that way....i could have my hubby do it..but..well...(not to be rude to him...i love him dearly)..he WOULD mess it up..so...i called my uncle today..he grew up on a farm....he said the best is the ax...or drowning them..[​IMG]....now i know i cant do THAT either....to me THAT would be the worst way!...my mother told me today..i should not have gotten chickens..cause i dont have it in me to put one down if i had to...she knows i cant handle seeing an animal in pain or suffering..and with my other pets i can just take them to an emergency vet(if my vets not open)...but with chickens..the only vet i could find is pretty far away...and there no emergency vets around for them..wendy.

9. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i hope no one gets upset but my vet advised us to place a hamster that was injured by the cat in the freezer. it slows the heart and the animal just kinda go es to sleep so to say. atleast its painless. sorry ya gotta choose. i know its hard.[​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks pokey....it is hard....i have heard the freezer thing also...like if you are going to cook a live lobster..they say put it in the freezer before...i just wish there were some other ways..??...or at least a way that numbs them or puts them to sleep before we would have to actually chop the head off or whatever...then if i had to do it..at least it would be asleep....wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by