Okay to feed chickens egg shells?

Hey,
Does anybody know if it's okay to feed my chickens egg-shells instead of oyster grit?
Don't want them to get into the habit of eating their own eggs.

Thanks!
Yes, just grind it into super small pieces, and make it unrecognizable. IF they recognize it they will break and eat their own eggs, which is also known as an egg eater. Best to mix crumbled egg shells with other treats.

I've fed mine their own shells for 20 years. I don't crush, bake, anything like that. I just crack the egg and put the shell in the bowl with all the other kitchen scraps for the birds. I've not had an egg eater from doing this, but the older hens sure love eating the egg shells!

I've fed mine their own shells for 20 years. I don't crush, bake, anything like that. I just crack the egg and put the shell in the bowl with all the other kitchen scraps for the birds. I've not had an egg eater from doing this, but the older hens sure love eating the egg shells!
I think mine just love eggs. We have a bad egg eater who gets everyone else eating eggs too.

Will egg shells be the same amount of nutrients as the oyster grit?
goodpost.gif

I've fed mine their shells before but typically with a good high calcium layer ration you don't have to use supplemental calcium. On the other hand I agree with the others, dry em out first then grind them small (ziplock bag and a rolling pin) then let em have it. Perfectly healthy and I would venture to guess that they may have more nutrients than oyster shells but I don't have any scientific facts to back that up, just a feeling.

Lots of threads here on BYC on this one, try searching. We feed ours their shells back with no problem of them eating eggs. They only eat eggs when one lays a thin shelled one and it gets stepped on by bird. We store the shells in jars under the sink and when we have several jars full, dump them onto a casserole dish and dry them in the oven whenever we bake dinner. Drying them dries out the membrane that makes it much easier to then crush them. They seem to prefer the egg shells over the oyster shells.

after I crack open a egg I just throw them the 2 halves have never had a problem with them eating there eggs

Back
Top Bottom