Okay to have wood plank floor in run ( not coop)?

horstuff

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
I have a 10 x 10 chain link kennel for their run, with an enclosed wood coop inside. I need to prevent predators from digging under the perimeter of the run, so am thinking of a 2 x10 plank floor (not pressure treated) covering the entire floor area. I know they will only last a couple years like that, but easy enough to replace. The ground here is just to hard to dig down at the perimeter to bury something. Thanks for any advice.

You could lay a perimeter apron of welded wire, say 2" x 3", on the ground attached to the bottom of the fence around the run. 18 to 24 inches wide extending from the bottom of the fence will prevent digging under the fence. The apron lies on the surface of the ground.

I watched a dog dig at the apron on my run. He was frantic in his digging right at the bottom of the fence, but stymied by the apron. After a few minutes, it must have dawned upon him that he was making no progress and he gave up and left. He did not try another location.

You have to overlap to cover the corners, and make a doormat like construction to extend from one side of the gate to the other as well as extend into the run so there is no edge at the base of the gate to snag and pull.

I just put some strategic stones and dirt to hold the apron in place. Eventually, the soil and grass will hold it in place.

Chris

If you do the apron...you don't need the wood floor....not sure a wood floor would be good for a run anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom