Okay to keep in the coop but not outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shoregirl1234, Apr 27, 2016.

1. shoregirl1234

shoregirl1234 New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    My chicks are 4 weeks old and have been outside during the day and once at night. We have had some great weather here in Maryland. Yesterday was high 70's. Today is mid 50's. They hate to be inside in their brooder box...too small for them.

Do you think it is okay to put them in their closed coop - very roomy and nice. Hubby wants to put a heat lamp in there but it is going to be more than a notion and I expect another week it will not even be an issue.

I don't want them to freeze but they are miserable in their brooder.
    Help!

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I would leave a heat lamp on them until they are fully feathered, it is a common problem there are more chicks bought than the brooder will fit, you usually want about 1 foot of space per chick

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would definitely get them out to the coop for good. It is easy enough to run the heat lamp at night and on chilly days. Use their behavior as your guide as far as when they don't need it anymore. Most of mine are done needing extra heat by 6-8 weeks depending on outside temperatures.

4. shoregirl1234

shoregirl1234 New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Thanks...hubby is hooking up a heat lamp. Was hoping the warm weather would stay around. April weather!

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We are expecting some snow this evening, two weeks ago we were in the 80's. Spring is always an adventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by