OKAY TO STOP ARTIFICIAL LIGHT THIS TIME OF YEAR??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fawn and Fam, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    This is my 1st Winter w/ chickens and have used artificial light to keep them laying regularly. After reading the current article "Chickens & Winter Egg Laying and Lighting"on the home page I've decided to stop giving artificial light and let them lay naturally. I thought all was well until I realized that could send them into molt! The temps have been frigid here in Michigan going below 0 Fahrenheit. I only have 2 hens and we were not able to finish their insulated coop before the weather turned so they are not in the best coop right now.

My question is...Is it likely it will send them into a molt? If so maybe I should just finish out this Winter w/ artificial light and let them start laying naturally next Winter.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I would finish with the light[​IMG]

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    We have 2 lights, one in the coop, one just outside the coop. Ours are so we can see all the birds at night (and any predators + vermin) from the windows. [​IMG]

I personally would leave it & stop the lighting when the daylight extends.. you don't want to mess up their body clocks into thinking its earlier in the year than it really is. Then just don't bother putting it on next Autumn / winter.

Its upto you & your circumstances i.e are you prepared to supply supplemental heat if it does send them into a moult or another natural behavior. [​IMG]

4. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you both [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by