okay to switch chicks to Grower/finisher a week early?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ducklove334, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Actually..it'd probly be only a couple days short of them being 10 weeks old.

we're thinking of ordering from Ideal again next week(Becca wants silkies, I want some more D'uccles,a couple more NN pullets, and hopefully a polish or two..and a couple more duckies [​IMG] [​IMG],

however the 8 week old "starving teenage" phase chicks are getting too big for both the brooder room,and the brooder pen, but with them in there, theres no way we could put itty chicks with them, too big, plus they don't like the 3 week olds, Bumble and Teeter, so they pick at them, wich is why they're now seperate.

I was wondering, if we went ahead and put the chicks, turkeys and Guineas with the adults, and the two ducks with the adult ducks, would it just be safe to go ahead and switch them to grower/finish at 9 weeks instead of 10?? that way they wouldn't be eating layer alread wich I know isn't good for them that young.

Thanks!
    Briar

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't have grower/finisher here. Do you know the protein content %?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It will not hurt the chickens to switch a week early. They may lose a little "efficiency" but you probably won't notice much. Make sure they have grit. Of course, you know to watch for the integration issues with the age difference of the chicks and adults. You've already seen it with the 3 week olds.

4. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    yup, we've done the whole young chicks with adults before [​IMG]

the NN's and donte' were introduced to the adults at 3 months, so thats not much older.

Hinkjc, I think the protein of grower/finisher is either 16 or 18%.

I feed my ducks/baby chicks dumor feed, wich is really good stuff.

we have introduced at night before, and it only took the big n's a few days to get used to them.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I wasn't as worried about the chicks, as I was the adults. It's good to know the protein content will work for them. Don't forget to add oyster shells for the adults free choice and all should work out fine.

6. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    ok, soo...

we;re rethinking moving the little chicks from nest week, to night, or the nest couple days, Zig the Guinea decided to show us just WHAT a great flyer he(it)s become by flying to the top of the dog kennel wich momma hen and baby were living in, but I'm debating,I know the chicks are getting WAY too big for the brooder room and the pen, they want a bigger space..

BUT FEEDING, I don't wanna screw them up more than their little bitty brains already are [​IMG], they'd stay on chick starter on schedule, then go to the otherat 10 weeks, ect. but, the same, I'm afraid they'll eat more laying mash then chick food, or that the adults will eat all their food.

UGH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by