Okay to use coastal hay as bedding?

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Hi everyone! Was wondering about using coastal hay along with pine shavings utility the deep litter method for my chicks. They don't go out for a few more weeks, but I've kept them 100% organic thus far, and I know that the costal hay has probably been sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers. Would this be ok? Would they eat it of just sleep and walk on it?
Thanks for your help!!!

Hi There!

Chicks typically don't eat their bedding because they don't see it as a tasty snack to them. However, chicks tend to be messy and get food out of their food bowl, this would cause the, to peck into the ground of the brooder exposing them to eat the pesticide bedding.Chickens starting from day one always have a natural tendency of pecking a t the ground in search of food. But I wouldn't worry too much though, the chicks won't die from this it might not affect them at all!

Hoped this helps!
Sunshine Ducky

Hey thanks for your response! I just wanted to make sure before I made a mistake! They don't have any fresh straw where I'm at because of the rains but they have the costal hay. I guess I'll give it a try!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom