Okay, wait....breed, age, sex? Confused!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NellaBean, Mar 22, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I bought two straight run EE a couple weeks ago.......one has acted more Rooish than the other the entire time. He gives me "stink eye" and just acts like a roo.

They are feathering out now and are probably....3-4 weeks old? I have had them almost 2 weeks now.

Are they old enough to tell sex?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have dubbed them Stew and Crockpot, just in case.....In all the above pics, the one that is closest (with the striped feathers) is the one who has acted more Rooish.

In the next pics, the other is closest (speckled feathers):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am curious to see what they look like all grown up...they are similar in color, but one has speckles and one has stripes on the feathers.

I don't want roosters, so have been keeping my fingers crossed but I'm thinking I am going to be out of luck on these. [​IMG]

Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    they look like they have single combs, which means they most likely aren't EE's.
    they also don't have muffs/beards either
    EE's have pea combs....

possibly welsummer, markings don't look dark enough for phoenix....trying to think what other breeds have similar markings

where did you get them?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  3. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    They came from a local feed store...one of the employees brought them in to sell. She was not there when I bought them, but only brought the one "breed" and had them listed as Easter Eggers. Not sure if they were her own "stock" or chicks she had bought from a hatchery.

They do not have any green on their legs at all, and don't have any extra muff/tufts/whatever. I just figured that they are mutts, so might not be exact? The EE i got from TSC do have greenish legs and also have combs that look "different" (assuming those may be pea combs? these are my first chicks).

I can't wait to see what they turn into it. The curiosity is killing me! (and the cat too!

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, ya never know, they may be mix or you could have got pures, no matter, they are cute. Sorry, too early for me to tell gender, maybe a couple more weeks....

5. OldMORoo

OldMORoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    S. W. MO
    Kinda look like my welsummer chicks at that age. Ended up with 4 roo's and 2 pullets. [​IMG] The roo's are getting real pretty now and 1 has a huge red comb and wattles and thinks he can crow. His name; Jim Dandy.
    Claude

6. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Well, my chicks are now.....older than before [​IMG] No idea how old they are. But definitely starting to look like "real chickens'.

Are they old enough to sex now? I"m pretty sure Crockpot is a Roo........but what about Stew?

For reference, I got them March 10 and here is what they looked like:
    Crockpot on right, Stew on left
    [​IMG]

Here they are today....

Crockpot on left, Stew on right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crockpot oin front, Stew in back
    [​IMG]

Stew
    [​IMG]

I THINK, Crockpot in front, Stew in back.
    [​IMG]

So...Crockpot's comb is getting larger and redder this week. Stew's is getting larger but not redder just yet.......

What do you think? Also breeds? They were sold as "easter eggers" but are apparently SUPER MUTTS because they don't have green leggs, or muff or anything like that. Pretty though.

7. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    They look like pullets to me.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    they are less than 5 weeks? then I say crockpot is a definite cockeral, my girls don't get red until they are well over 12 weeks. I really can't guess on Stew not knowing the breed. Some breeds have large combs so I wouldn't give up yet.....hate to tell ya but....give it a few more weeks to be sure [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I think they are about 4.5-5 weeks. I've had them just over 3.5 weeks and they were about a week old when I got them?

Crockpot has acted like a roo from the beginning. He would stand really tall and constantly get between me and Stew....stand over her/him/it until they laid down, etc.

Now I just need to figure out whether Stew is a girl....or if Crockpot is gay!

[​IMG]

Thanks for the guesses!

Anyone else?

10. mcmch91

mcmch91 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Clark County, IL
    These two look identcal to my RIR/EE crosses. Some had pea combs, some the single RIR combs. The girls and boys are still hard to ID at eight weeks! Crockpot,though, is aptly named -- cockerel! They just get prettier. It is a pretty mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by