Okay - water bottle *lix-it* or pop bottle fount?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HennysMom, Mar 30, 2009.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

So - after hours and weeks looking through posts and debating on which to switch to - I'm still torn on which is better for full grown birds [​IMG] Some people say the Lix-it ball bearing type of bottle and others the pop bottle fount.

My concerns are two fold on either:

With the Lix It ball bearing type: will they get enough water?

With the Pop Bottle Fount: again, enough water issue and having a plastic soda bottle in heat [​IMG] I cant find a glass bottle that size and that would be my choice.

The Pop Bottle fount seems like they'd get more water that way, it'd be cleaner and I know they'd absolutely get the water (I can see it in the little fount obviously)...but I so worry about plastic and heat. I'm wondering if I could put it inside a cooler to keep it cold/out of the sun ?

They have a galvanized waterer now but they get it soooo dirty even up on blocks; my other concern is when we go away for a weekend. I want to ensure they have CLEAN water vs. having someone have to change the water 3 times a day.

So - all of you with founts / ball bearing type waterers... do tell.

Thanks in advance.

2. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I prefer the ball bearing waterer when I'm brooding chicks...their water stays clean this way. They get plenty of water and have a blast pecking at the shiny metal ball. [​IMG] I'd use this method with my hens as well but I can't find a tip with a bearing big enough for for their beaks. [​IMG] So I have to suffice with the regular founts.

My fount stays fairly clean. I put it on one of those cheap step stools from wally world (great stool also when helping little ones toilette train) and use a bungee cord to secure it so those hens don't knock it over.

As far as going away watering goes... [​IMG] I never go anywhere long enough to worry about it.

3. HennysMom

Quote:Thats my concern is their beaks will be too big for the "clicker" type. [​IMG]

How many birds do you have? I have 6 Red Stars and they drink alot of water actually... they seem to love the stuff LOL! I mean, more than normal - they can drink quite a bit as I always see them at the waterer now so I need something that will hold enough. I'm not above having 3-4 bottles around the pen, I just want something that will give them enough water and stay cleaner than what they have now.

Is your water inside or outside? What about heat and the plastic bottles?

4. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I have 19 hens (GLW, SLW & BR) and a BR roo. Am expecting 34 chicks around may 15th. Adult bird will definately be too big to get water from those ball bearing water tips. I have vague ideas about using a marble inside a rubber nipple used for calves...wondering if a scenario like that might work.

For the time being, I use the small plastic water fount from the feed store (white top, red bottom I think its 1 gallon?) I have two and just switch them out once or twice a day. My birds are free range so they get alot of water from natural sources. However, in the winter I'll go through 2 full founts a day. I used a heat lamp above the fount this winter to keep it from freezing. Worked fine. I don't really think about chemicals leaching into the water from the plastic...I don't worry about those things so much. I don't use plastic bottles though as they'd be too small and I'd be forever filling them.

5. HennysMom

Oh.... okay so you have a standard waterer then....I have something similiar to that now, but mine is galvanized.

The ones I'm looking at fit a 2 litre soda bottle inverted.

Anyone have that type? Pros/Cons?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by