1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Okay, we've decided, did we choose well?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mom2jedi, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I sat my wonderful hubby down today and asked him to help me choose our future flock. Here's what we came up with. (We ordering from MPC eventually and for our area the min. is 7 chicks if there are any bantams.)

1 Rhode Island Red
    2 Black Stars
    1 Barred Rock
    1 Easter Egger
    1 Buff Brahma Bantam
    1 White Silkie

At first he wanted 2 RIR but the kids like the black ones so much we went with 2 black stars. I might ask him about getting one black star and one black Australorpe instead. We had debated between the BS and the BA and went with the star since they don't go broody. But that was when we were only going with one black breed and two RIRs.

I'd love to see anyone's pictures of these breeds... especially the EEs since they can look so different. (We're getting the mutt kind not the purebred [​IMG])
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you've chosen a pretty mix. [​IMG] Color and size contrasts - and when the time comes, you'll have color and size contrasts in eggs! I have columbian wyandottes, white orps, speckled sussex, black austs, and 8 mutts adorning my yard. I could spend hours watching them... chicken tv in technicolor! Congrats on your choices [​IMG]

3. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks! Anyone else have pictures of these breeds?

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You should probably get more than one silkie, so it can have a friend [​IMG]

5. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:If I did that, I'd probably have to give up the Brahma. Seven chickens was pushing DH's chicken limit a bit. If that wasn't the minimum for MPC (if you're ordering any bantams) we would probably only be getting five. [​IMG] I really like the Brahmas. We've got a few breeds saved for the next round in a few years so I'll probably get two then.

Quick question though, do they need another silkie to be happy?

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:If I did that, I'd probably have to give up the Brahma. Seven chickens was pushing DH's chicken limit a bit. If that wasn't the minimum for MPC (if you're ordering any bantams) we would probably only be getting five. [​IMG] I really like the Brahmas. We've got a few breeds saved for the next round in a few years so I'll probably get two then.

Quick question though, do they need another silkie to be happy?

They do better with at least two of them. They have a hard time seeing, due to the crest and beard, and sometimes get picked on. You would be better off with at least two [​IMG]

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Stereo Silkies! Just tell your DH he's seeing double! [​IMG]

8. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! I don't know if I can convince DH to get another chicken so I'll probably have to switch it with the Brahma. [​IMG]

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Never had a RIR, but I know my red-sexlinks lay early and their eggs get large really fast. The Blacks still haven't caught up to the reds.

10. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I don't think that would work, he's pretty sharp that one! Plus, he's being wonderful about building me a coop, and he's putting up with the expense of setting all this up. I had no idea chickens cost so much... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by