Okay, what do I need to do? Preparing the girls for laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by a123andpoof, Jul 2, 2011.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have 14 17 week old black sex links, I have been told they should start laying anytime...if they haven't already. A few of them really seem close nice red combs, and squatting when you touch them. We try and let them freerange part of the day if not all day, but I am worried some of them might lay in the bushes, we don't find it and they make a habit of it, or they lay another animal gets it and trys getting in the coup and that we just flat out don't know she is laying. Also we have some younger girls in there, and I read somewhere giving them layers mash isn't good. So I do part layers mash, part chick starter, and part chick grower. So can I give the girls egg shells crushed of course on a seperate plate so they can get the calcium they need to make the eggs? And will it hurt the younger chicks to eat to much of it?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Anything?

3. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I read and have done the putting golf balls in the nesting boxes. Give them the idea of whats to be expected. I have 11 17 week old pullets, that half have that reddened comb and wattle. No eggs yet, but I've started to switch over to the layer feed mixed with the left over medicated chick feed. And what I thought was attitude from one of my Delawares is probably squating. [​IMG]

4. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Well I have to keep some grower in the food as my silkies are still pretty young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by