okay what now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickabator, Feb 1, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I was advised to get my 6 week old chicks some poly-visol without iron well I did I put 2-3 drops in their beaks yesterday now today they are acting sicker than they were they have had cocci they were treated and now do not have it . anyway dh went to feed them and one was dying it had what looked like a seizure so he culled it. I got looking on the bottle of poly vi sol and the pharamist said it did not have iron in it. well the bottle says that it has ferrous sulfate as a stabilizer THAT IS IRON !!! have I killed my chicks?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I don't think that will hurt them. I use chick grit. It is red. I think it has iron too. Jean

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I responded to your PM with info I found on Enfamil's site - yes, the regular Poly-Vi-Sol does contain "ferrous sulfate (as a stabilizer for vitamin B12)", and it's the B12 that you want and the Poly-Vi-Sol without iron does not contain B12 so that's one of the main reasons people say get the one without iron - also the other has more iron. Here's the info from their site;

"Composition
    Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol Drops
    Ingredients: Glycerin, water, ascorbic acid, polysorbate 80, vitamin E succinate, niacinamide, ferrous sulfate (as a stabilizer for vitamin B12), natural and artificial flavor, caramel color, vitamin A palmitate, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin-5-phosphate sodium, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, vitamin D3, vitamin B12.

Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron Drops
    Ingredients: Glycerin, water, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E succinate, niacinamide, natural and artificial flavor, caramel color, polysorbate 80, vitamin A palmitate, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin-5-phosphate sodium, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, vitamin D3.
    "

I went back and read several threads you have started about your sick chicks. It will be helpful to all those trying to help if you keep updates in one thread. I saw you have chicks pooping blood in one thread and another thread about chicks starting to get stiff legs and walking only on their toes. Now they are having seizures and dying. It is NOT the Poly-Vi-Sol, unfortunately, it sounds like something much more serious going on. Separate any and all sick chicks. Keep them away from all other chicks and the rest of the flock. Keep them under a heat lamp. If you have not already given Sulmet, do so for one week - but I think your other thread mentioned you have already done so. It could be the chick that had the seizure was just too far gone with Cocci but it could be there is something much more serious happening. Keep them separated, warm and give them the Poly-Vi-Sol - it can really help any weak immune system. Only time will tell at this point but please try and consolidate all threads so everyone will have all information at hand to be able to help.

So sorry you are having these issues.

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    the one that was walking on its toes had just hatched it is a complete different hatch of chicks.
    the ones that had cocci is the same hatch that had the curled toes and walking on the side of its feet. that chick is doing wonderful now. the cocci is gone I used sulmet for 7 days. 2 tbs per gallon of water the first 2 days and then 1 tbs for the other 5 days. the cocci is all cleared up this is something different. Dh said he thinks that one of the other (bigger and 1 week older marans ) might have jumped on it and broke its neck. I don't know. I was just worried about the poly vi sol .I thought I had bought the wrong stuff. We gave it to them yesterday and then today the chick in the brooder house was laying there DH picked her up she had a seizure like episode and then died.
    that is what my cornish x rocks did when they had cocci real bad before we knew what it was. That was when we had first started out with chickens. we know the signs and symptoms now, I knew that they had cocci when they all stayed under the heat lamp with their feathers fluffed out then came the bloody poo but dh didn't think I was right, well he found out after I started treating with sulmet and they got better. I guess he won't doubt me about that anymore.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Did that chick eat. I know if I have a chick that has stopped eating/drinking they will often have the seizure before they die. Sorry, grasping at straws for you.....Hopefully someone else can tell you more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by