Okay, who laid what??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Aug 22, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have a number of chickens in one pen and I have at least two layers. One is laying a rich brown (medium) Jumbo egg. One is laying a light brown peewee pullet egg.

Ages and breeds are:

2 Barred Rocks: 22 weeks (appear to be laying)
    2 Cinnamon Queens: 22 weeks (might be laying)
    2 RIR: 20 weeks (might be laying)
    3 BSL: 18 weeks (do not appear laying yet)

I'm kind of stunned by the Jumbo egg. It is bigger than any egg I've seen from production hens, including what they term Jumbo eggs.

Any thoughts as to who might be laying this one? I've thought maybe the BRs because they're big birds, but maybe not, given the egg is a medium brown.[​IMG]

The reason I'm asking is because I've agreed to sell a couple of BSL to a couple who lost some birds and I don't want to give up my Jumbo egg layer. This bird, whoever it is, started with large eggs and went to Jumbo size. No pullet eggs. Thoughts? [​IMG]

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I bet the big jumbo one is from a barred rock

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Or you just got yourself your first double yolker! Those are always surprisingly larger than normal eggs - and your girls aren't normal layers yet, they are still rather young?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:They're young, but whoever this is, is laying BIG eggs right off the bat. We're talking large to jumbo I have an EE who laid a double yolker which was noticeably different than the other eggs she laid. Bless her little feathered butt, she lays blue eggs too.

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Mystery solved.

My jumbo egg layer is a tiny gold sex link named Latte. She just laid a whopper of an egg that won't fit in an egg carton! [​IMG]

I'm stunned. The size of this egg is bigger than a duck egg. If I hadn't seen her lay it, I wouldn't have believed it.

The barred rocks are laying medium to large eggs. I think they started laying shortly after Latte. [​IMG]

6. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    Pictures? [​IMG]

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Sorry about that!

Okay here it is and an explanation:

[​IMG]

The egg on the left is an Extra Large store egg, the egg in the middle is the one my hen laid. The egg on the right is an egg that my chickens normally lay for comparison. No, it doesn't fit in an Extra-Large carton. This hen really lays big eggs. Usually they're double yolkers when they get this big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by