Okay, who sent me the 130+ Pheasant chicks? mystery solved post #49

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Southernbelle, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Any advice for raising pheasant chicks?

We got back from church today and I got a message from the main post office in Lynchburg saying that the truck came in and we can pick up our baby pheasant chicks today or have them delivered to our house tomorrow and gave me a number to call. I don't think astonished could quite cover what I thought at that moment. I hadn't ordered any chicks of any kind this year, so I thought they must've looked up the wrong phone number and called the PO to straighten this out.

The post office employee verified my name and address was on the box and told me where I can pick them up. Then, they told me that they were almost all dead and since they were almost all dead, did I just want them delivered tomorrow. I explained to them that I didn't order any chicks, but I was coming to get them because I can't just leave them uncared for - they're live animals!

I drove out to get them and he brought out a huge box that hatcheries ship 100+ chicks in!!!! I've never ordered that many chicks - ever! The box came from Mac Farlane Pheasants in WI - I've never even heard of them, I've never browsed their website and definately never placed an order. I like gamebirds, but the only ones I have are quail and hadn't planned on getting anything else anytime soon.

The address is handwritten and it is indeed my address, no invoice or contact information in the box. It was postmarked April 24th, so was only in transit 2 days, so I don't know why the death count was so high. I opened the box in front of the postal employee and the vast majority were dead. 120 are dead and 12 are still hanging in there, but only 4 look like they have much energy.

I brood most of my chicks under broody hens, so I didn't really have a proper brooder set up anymore, so I put the survivors in a Rubbermaid tote on paper towels and rigged up a heat lamp. I dipped their beaks in sugar water just like I did for my Privitt chicks last year, no one seems overly interested in eating or drinking.

I called the company, but they aren't in the office on Sundays - but they're going to hear from me tomorrow!

Any advice for me? This is the craziest thing!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. kyliesmommax5

kyliesmommax5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    WOW thats insane!! So you didnt even order them? Hard to believe that so many where died already! Well youll have to let us know what they have to say tomorrow! I have no tips for you Ive never raised wild game birds before. Good Luck!!

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Wow, now that would be quite a suprise. Like you I'd be somewhere between thankful and bewildered. Poor little babies, I wonder what happened that killed that many.

4. That is just weird...

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Call the hatchery and ask who ordered them/paid for them. Weird!

6. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Thats crazy, I"ve never heard of that. [​IMG]
    Someone obviousely must have ordered them and sent them to you, because a hatchery just doesnt send out that many chicks without their money.

7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Well I would demand replacements!

In all seriousness.... how weird and whatta bummer... [​IMG]

8. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Demand replacements! I'm in Bedford Co., so send em my way and I'll raise em and turn them out! [​IMG]

That's nuts though! Someone must have ordered them but as hot as it was yesterday, I'm not surprised most were dead.

Best of luck with the survivors!

9. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Even though I never asked for them, it's heartbreaking to watch them die. 4 more have gone since I started this post and I feel so helpless. I try to eyedropper some sugar water into the weakest ones, but it's not doing any good and handling them really seems to stress them out. It's a no win situation. [​IMG]

I don't even know what they are - they look like chipmunks about the same size as banty chicks. The company only sells pheasants and chukars, as far as I know.

10. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I wondered that, too, but who would do that and not even tell me! That's a lot of chicks and I don't remember mentioning to anyone that I particularily wanted pheasants (or whatever these are). Pheasants are beautiful birds, but I usually read up on the animals before I get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by