okayy im pretty sure it mite??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jackrooster, May 14, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    okayyyy sooo my chicks have stated to go bald and loosing there feather and im pretty sure it is mites! ahhh sooo how do i get rid of them........i no i get poultry dust and rub it on them right??? i should also clean there whole stall to get rid of all the bad shaving that could be carring them........what do i spray all around there to kill the mites ??? bleach ??? do i just spray it everywhere??? anything else i should do???

2. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    hellooooooo?

3. janetk

janetk In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I'm getting ready to de-mite my chickens. I've never done this before, but I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. I bought some Carbaryl dust for gardens and pets (same as Sevin-generic). My research tells me to hold them (securely) by the feet and sprinkle the powder around the vent, under wings, work it onto breast and back. don't get in the face. I'm cleaning the coop. I'm sprinkling the dust in next boxes, on floor and on their roosts. I am then going to put DE (dietemascous (spelling?) earth) on the floor and roosts. then i'm putting my wood shavings on top. i'm making them a dust bath with sand, de, and the powder in their coop. I'm following up with another dusting in 10 days to hopefully break the cycle of eggs & mites. I read check them weekly, but be cautious powdering them more than every two months after they're gone. If anyone has done this before & knows something different, please comment.

4. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Our chickens have had mites as well. I don't nkow if you can look under my account name (I don't get completely how to get around), but, there is a great description of what to do and what they are, etc, and some links on those couple of threads. I looked at the Carbaryl in the feed store, but, it was Sevin for plants and not livestock. I looked specificaly for the pyrethrins, but animal grade and it was in the cow section (although it was a mite killer and it showed chickens on it...all animals). Then, follow what you listed before, but, these directions have you do it again a few times and every 7-10 days. The reason being is that all those little eggs you see on the base of the feathers will not be affected by the treatments until they hatch...then you treat again and kill the next batch between layings. My understanding is that for the initial treatments you must cover the first 21 days or so...so..treat, then 7-10 days later, treat again, and then 7-10 days later, treat once more. Then you can go much longer in between if they are symptom free. If you treat and then wait for two months they entire cycle will have started again. I am no expert, but did a lot of research when we had them. See if you can find the threads under my account and read those...lots of great information. Also, depending on where you are, it makes a difference if they are lice or mites and there is a great article on telling the difference. It does make a difference on how you treat it. Also, remember that although the DE is a great product, it has not been shown to kill the eggs and therefore is not an effective overall treatment for ridding lice. Good luck!

5. paparootzi

paparootzi In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    I just noticed the start of an outbreak myself because I got too busy and wasn't doing my "Preventative Maintenance" w/ the D/E. (which works well for preventative because I didn't have a problem for 1-1/2 years. I just made an order at www.eggcartons.com to try out some "Poultry Protector" and "Insectrin Poultry Dust" . The prices aren't that bad so I thought I would try it out. I can't ever find anything at Co-OP for this situation and I'm always scared to try anything that doesn't specifically say anything about the avian species. My order won't be here til' Tuesday but I cleaned out pens, put heavy layer of D/E on ground, clean pine shavings and another layer of D/E again on top of liter and put D/E in nest boxes and took each chicken and sat them on a piece of plastic w/ a pile of D/E and took my hands (should have used gloves but I didn't) and put D/E under wings and on back and legs and neck (everywhere except head) They actually liked the coolness of the stuff! I also rubbed vaseline on legs for leg mites! They didn't like that too much but I did that first so I didn't get D/E all over me and then when I stuck their feet in the pile of D/E, it stuck to their feet pretty good! I'm sure they thought I was crazy![​IMG]

6. janetk

janetk In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    well, we got it done. it was not easy. we would catch one-dust it-then put it outside the coop. we did this 18 times. i only saw bugs on the one chicken though. they were around her vent and were a pale white/almost translucent. eeekkk. we cleaned out the coop. i put a layer of DE and some Carbaryl dust on the cement floor, then covered it with cedar shavings (i usually use aspen-the guy gave me the wrong stuff). i also put the Carbaryl on the roosts and in the nest boxes. i will follow up especially with the one that's infested in 2-3 days as suggested to break the egg cycle. thanks for the info. i've had chickens for 9 years and never had bugs or worms. i follow them around the yard checking their poop all the time. gross but efficient. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by