Okie newbie

mdwillie3

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 9, 2013
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Brand new to chickens. I am actually on my second set of chicks this year. I received an order o 10 road island reds from Randall Burkey approx 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately they came in the mail during the worst snow storm we have had in decades. We met them at the post office but all arrived dead, apparently due to the extreme cold. I did not replace the order and just had them return my money and purchased this set of chicks locally at the co-op store.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A dozen pullets

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 2 gold laced wyandottes, 2 silver laced wyandottes. 3 road island reds, 2 leghorns, and 3 unknowns. All are 3 weeks old at this time.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Found the web sight while doing research on chickens. Seemed very informative and full of friendly people willing to help those who are less knowledgeable, (that would be me)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I guess you could say my main hobby for the past 15 years or so has been hauling my two children to rodeo's. First junior rodeo's and then high school and so on. Both are now on the rodeo team at NWOSU. My son is a bulldogger and team roper. My daughter is a barrel racer.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

In two days my wife and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. While she is supportive of my recent endeavor to raise chickens, she has yet to show any interest in being a hands on partner with it. But that is OK. I am retired from the Oklahoma department of corrections after 24 years and now help my wife with her screen printing/embroidery business. We have a son who is 22 and a daughter who is 20. As for pets we have 1 dog, 2 shop cats, and 6 horses.

Am really looking forward to this and am sure I will have many questions for you guys in the future.

Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom