Oklabar info?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by calebjh, Jan 16, 2017.

1. calebjh

calebjh New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    I have googled until I'm all googled out but I can't find anything on Oklabars. I assume they're extinct, right? Anybody know anything about this breed?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    From my searching, I didn't come up with any breeders or place you can get them. They are however from RIRs crossed with barred rocks. If you really want the breed you could attempt to 'recreate' it by doing the crossing yourself.

3. calebjh

calebjh New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    That's an interesting idea. I assume they are much more than a simple RIR x BR since that (I think) just produces a sexlink. You already found more than I did. Do you have a link? I'd LOVE to find the notes from when oklabars were originally bred. I currently own (and hatch) some pretty decent cream legbars and I'm from Oklahoma. When I saw reference to the oklabars it piqued my interest.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Let me dig it up. The info I found sounds like it was a BR male over RIR female, and then taking the barred birds from that and backcrossing to RIR, basically the same thing that was done to make the campbar.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. calebjh

calebjh New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Thank you very much, kind person[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by