Old babies and new babies

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Feb 10, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

they grow so fast! [​IMG]

how do the boys feel about the younger ones now that they have gotten to know them a bit?

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    They are much more comfortable. No more hissing. They are separated by a fence though. I am keeping the babies in a covered chicken run until they are older.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

glad to hear the boys are done having their hissy fits!.. lol... maybe they have figured out that there are two future girlfriends there..

5. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    love the pics! it looks like you have a really nice setup for them all. do you have anymore pics of your fencing and enclosures? your fence looks very tall, how tall is it? and what is it made out of exactly? im trying to take notes on fencing and whatnot now that i have some eggs in the bator. just want to be prepared if they hatch!

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    The emus spend the day in the yard with the jail coop. I keep my blue Isbars in there. The fence to the left connects with the pasture where the emus are. The saloon coop houses my cream legbars. Each yeard is 25 ft by 50 ft.

[​IMG]

I had the fence built. It is made from 10 foot lodge poles buried in cement. The bottom of the fence is hardware cloth 18 inches up and then an apron 18 inches out, now covered with vegetation. Above the hardware cloth is black pained non-clim fencing five feet tall. The entire area is covered in flight netting since the Cooper's hawks sit in the fig tree.

[​IMG]

The wrought iron railing in the first pic is the covered deck to my house. Here it is after we put the netting up. Please note that the Icelandic chicken was trying to break into jail not out of it!

[​IMG]

7. dnkfarm

dnkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Iva, SC

8. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Elvis hatched on January 9th and the girls the week before.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. dnkfarm

dnkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Iva, SC
    Guessing Elvis hatched instead of hated, couldn't imagine why he hated January 9th[​IMG]. WOW they grow quick! Very impressive!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    How adorable they all are! Some day I will have some Emus! *love*

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by