Old banty rooster has dark/ purple comb, lethargic, runny white poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunflower, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    I have a 5-6 year old banty rooster that we call Cap'n Jack. He was fine in the evening when I checked on flock at 10 pm, Christmas day. By 8:00 am the next day, he was very sick. It was 8 degrees that night. I had two heat lights on them and temp stays btwn 20-40 degrees in the coop. Small flock of 9,
    One other hen recently has had what we call a poopy butt w/ poo stuck on her feathers and she just got a bit grumpy and quiet. We cleaned it up and she is now acting better.

Cap'n Jack has runny white poo,he just stands there or sits there with feather ruffled up. He never did have much of an appetite, still barely eating. He is sleeping a lot. His comb is usually red. Now it's very dark. He has scale mites I've been fighting since this summer or so. I am using vasoline on his feet and legs. He has no lice. I use DE for worming. He is always shaking a little like he is cold, even in warm weather. However he doesn't shake when I have him wrapped up in a towel. I am not sure what to give him since he is not wanting to eat or drink. I have given him some watered down yogurt (with a spoon at corner of beak), organic feed and scratch. He is inside in our kennel in the kitchen.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm not sure if he is just old or if he has an infection or if his heart is giving out.

Thank you so much, we are very worried about the little guy.

2. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Hmmmm sounds like there may be a few things going on, wished I could help. Maybe someone else has the answers. In the meantime a good place to check would be this section for links on illness and what not. They are usually blue and at the bottom of a post.Good luck & prayers.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have noticed that when mine get white poop, it's because they're dehydrated. Can you do subcutaneous fluids and/or tube feed?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is useless as a wormer. I recommend that you worm him with valbazen cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is 1/4cc with either wormer, orally undiluted. Redose him again in 10 days. Inspect his vent area for mites. They will look like black/red pepper, slow movers or not moving at all.

5. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Thank you so much for everyone's input. Reinspected him and did find some lice. Those suckers, I hate them! [​IMG] Treating w/ DE, but I'm going to get that poultry dust just for mites. I looked at wormers today, will go back and get something. He is drinking today and eating a little bit. I treated his water w/ vitamins and electrolytes. Since he is a very small little guy, is the 1/4cc a good dosage? Here is a pic of him earlier this summer w/ a couple of girlfriend. (he's in front). Thanks again!!

[​IMG]

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I tried using DE, it was a waste of money. Now I use the poultry dust that they sell at the feed stores.

For the worming, I use Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) and I always weigh my birds then dose them at 50mg/kg ( .05cc/kg) by mouth and repeat in ten days. This is what my avian vet told me to do, so that's what I do now. You can look at these and see all the different doses for the various avian species.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

7. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Dawg53 saved the day.....BUT DE is useless for mites too. Sevin OR you can use Frontline plus [for medium sized dogs] on mites. One drop under a wing or by the vent for banty size. For LF > 2 drops. Because of his age it is POSSIBLE his kidneys are not functioning well anymore [cause of white runny poos]. Does he have any favorite foods that he will readily eat? See if you can get him to eat more that way. IF the kidneys are not functioning well, stay away from alot of protien rich foods. Worming and de-lousing will help. You can also give him a warm bath and blow dry to help get rid of the the lice load ASAP then dust or frontline. Plus the Spa day will help make him feel better. LOL

8. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    All, thanks so much, I don't know what I'd do without this forum. I'm going to get cleaned up (and unfortunately have to skip church today) head into town for supplies then we're going to have a spa day for Cap'n Jack! He is loving his scrambled eggs and kernels of corn. But not the chicken vitamins I gave him. He acted like a little kid having to take his medicine! I am so grateful he has not died, the way he looked I thought he was a goner. It's till not over yet, but I feel like if he was going to die he would have by now. Thanks again.

9. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Let us kow how he does in the next few days...LOL

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I know from personal experience that if a cat or dog has impaired kidney function, a vet will recommend fluids, usually subcutaneous, but I don't know if this holds true for birds. X2 on the protein and I think calcium is hard on their kidneys, too.

If he were mine, I would get as much fluid into him as possible. If you have any friends that do cat/kitten/dog/puppy rescue, you could ask them to help you tube and/or give subcutaneous fluids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by