1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

old barn boards for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JLaw, Mar 20, 2013.

1. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok so i live in western ny about an hour south of buffalo. Currently i have nothing to put chickens in and an old barn that is falling apart. I was wondering if it would be ok to use the old boards from the barn some are like cracked or have little holes in them. I'm asking cause it seems everyone says keep dry draft free but well vented. Would these be too drafty or maybe should i double them up one on top of the space between the other two boards type deal? We plan on getting chickens this friday figure give me a few weeks to get something set up its getting warmer slowly now but still getting snow and not sure if i'll have the money for something better before next winter. I thought of maybe putting a tarp inbetween the two layered wall or just around the coop with a few boards nailed down every few feet. I've seen most coops seem to have plywood of some sort but i just dont have the funds for that atm. i"ll try to get some pics of some of the wood if needed tomorrow atm just can"t sleep so figured i'd check out more coops. probaly gonna take tin off side of leanto attached to barn for the roof. trying to make this cheap since wife dont want chickens but kids and i do. gonna be 6 RIR from ts.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    My only advice is save the best boards for near the roost that way any draft won't be on them.. Also check out construction dumpsters at new homes or re-dos for any usable material and the local transfer/landfill for anything as well. Look on craigslist for things too. There always a way to keep the cost down.

3. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    So I think I may have solved my draft problem I thought I may have hade when I go to build the coop but now I have another question. Will chickens peck at glass windows at all. I found some big windows like 4-5 ft tall3-4 ft wide and didn't know if I needed to cover them with wire or not. The windows are one pane of glass so they won't be opened at all.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Well they peck at just about everything! [​IMG]But no worry they won't peck it hard enough to break it.

5. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok thank I got two windows today 52in x 58in. The window place had old sliding glass doors I'm going to pick up, and a big window looking thing about the sa,e size if not bigger than one of the doors. I have to hit the other window places and hope I can find some that actually open for some air in the summer. I think my coop may end up more like a green house at this rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by