old barn nightmare's

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duke692008, Apr 13, 2012.

1. duke692008

duke692008 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    so i'm new to the game.but i have this old 100+ year old barn that isn't being used for any purpose so why not turn a room in it into a chicken coop.....well fer one it originally wasn't set up to be a chicken coop it was set up fer livestock,everything is on a slope and creating a nightmare amount of holes to fill.i'm too far in it to give up now so just gotta come up with solutions to the issue's. gotta say it's not gonna be as pretty as i imagined it to be but it will work.(i hope).on the bright side i did order my welsummer cock yesterday he'll be in may 21st.i'm getting really excited!has anyone out thhere had any dumb ideas that they did so i won't feel so bad with coop designs and construction?lol

2. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    Check out this thread. I was very impressed with this old barn conversion from some time ago, and remembered it when I saw your post.

Our "new" barn and coop!! (not sure this pasted as a link, if not, just put this exact title in the search box.

3. duke692008

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    just got through reading and seeing the pics of that barn and house.....i have really found some great encouragement from it and excitement as well.by the way the link worked.thank you fer posting that i really do appreciate it.my barn is about 5 times that size but maybe in a year or 2 i'll be able to show some transformation pics as well.i love hard work its what i do and i do it good so it will be a work in progress i know.just knowing how beautiful something can turn out is very inspirational.again thank you!

4. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    You are welcome. There are some others as well if you search "Barn coops" or something. Remember you are so lucky to have a 100 yr old barn - you should put a horse in it as well, or maybe some of those cute Highland cows.

5. duke692008

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    lol for the moment chickens are taking up most of my time.i really do want them to have a comfortable life.its been an interesting last 3 weeks reading,constructing,thinking,buying,more reading,etc etc.and i think i reached the halfway point on the coop which i'm pushing to finish....the 30 chicks i got are in my bedroom in a 2.5'x6' box that i made.and the outside of the barn needs some work to it the wind here never stops blowing and has done a number to it.i'm a longtime construction worker and an electrition by trade.and the most amazing part to the barn is the original wood has not one nail in it.....all mortis joints and wooden pegs holding it in place.....its just incredible by a archetectural standpoint....but anyway you never know i may go get another critter but fer the moment my chicks need a place to lay thier heads and not worry bout the predetors that will try to eat them!

6. duke692008

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    so i finally got the coop done and the chicks are out in it....gotta say i went kinda overboard with it the coop just swallows those 27 chickens lol.i probably got enough room in there to fit 50 more with no crowding issues at all.i got pics just ain't loaded them up yet and most of it is temporary.(till i figure out a prettier way)is there a such thing as too much space fer chickens?i would think not but just thought i'd throw it out there....anyway its finally may and i got 19 more days till that welsummer cock comes in with the 2 white crested polish hens gotta say i'm getting really excited to get him!

7. duke692008

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    thanks and yes i feel i am and the talk around the house since i did such a grand job on the coop is....they want a beef cow next spring and of course a pig not to mention the youngin wants a horse so my battles it looks like is just beginning lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by