1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old Bedframe Into A Tractor Coop (Lots of Pics!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bluey, Sep 8, 2008.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Last year, we had an old wooden bedframe that I turned into a temporary coop until I finished building my "Churkey Loft" chicken coop. I basically wrapped the bedframe in chicken wire and covered one side to provide for shelter and put our 8 week old chicks in it.

It looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Now that our alpha hen has hatched three new chicks, and they have been ready to graduate from the small brooder in the garage, I took the old temporary coop into the garage for a little bit of re-modeling. While I was at work, I let the Mom and babies get a taste of their future free ranging:
    [​IMG]

I stripped it down again and shored it up with 2x4s:
    [​IMG]

Then I lined the coop area with new boards:
    [​IMG]

Put a roof on it, access panels in the nest area as well as an entry door and wrapped the whole unit in hardware cloth and voila!:
    [​IMG]

Here it is now sitting besides my other coop. Mother hen seems to like it so far and now she won't have to deal with 4 other hens as she's raising her babies:
    [​IMG]

So, now the garage is ready for it's next batch of residents!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Very creative Bluey [​IMG]

3. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    That's a great recycling idea turned into a great tractor!

4. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I like this idea...neat. We are getting our 1st chickens this coming spring and we need to make a coop or 2.
    I dont even know where to start [​IMG]

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Great idea, two thumbs up here!

6. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Great recycling! Now I'll be hunting old bed frames. [​IMG]

7. Saffy

Saffy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    That's a great idea! I used a twin bed frame for work bench in my shop trailer. I have a nice 4' work area plus the underneath is used for storage.

8. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Just think of the possibilities using bunk-bed frames!! I see scrapped wooden twin-bunk beds all the time and my wheels are turning with ideas as we speak - thanks for the insipration!

I have picked up the fancy wooden headboard/footboards, painted them and cut them to fit and make benches out of them - never thought to use bedframes for coops.

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    very nice! way to reuse!

10. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thats a great idea! I would have never thought of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by