Old bird - big bumps on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Erebus, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

I looked these up a while a go but I'm quite new to chicken keeping and these didn't seem to be bothering her until now.
    She's one of a flock of 22 and she's the only one who seems to be staying inside most of the day.
    I went in yesterday and she was sitting on the floor but I don't know if she was just catching some sun there or not.
    I had a look at her feet and there seems to be something in there but it doesn't look specifically inflamed.

[​IMG]

Any insight would be great.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Looks like an infection or bumblefoot maybe. In bumblefoot there is usually a black dot...pick that open with a sharp knife and squeeze out the puss inside...then pack it with neosporin and wrap.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This usually happens when the birds jump from a tall roost and it hurts them to jump down. Mine had it and she waited for me to lift her down every morning. I got it corrected and she was right back to business and outside with the others. This is prob really hurting her [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You are going to need to drain the pus out of those. [​IMG] Lots of Neosporin covered with plastic wrap (if you can keep her from picking at it) for 24 hours would cause it to rupture or at least soften it enough to squeeze the gunk out. A warm soak in epsom salt and water afterward would probably help too. I personally would only cut if nothing else works but it needs to come out.

Wear gloves because you could be dealing with staph there.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
  6. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks heaps for the link. I tried to have a search in the forum history but I wasn't sure what I was looking for.
    Not sure if it's actually bumblefoot. Either way I managed to clean them out this evening.

One had holes on top so I faffed around trying to clean it out the holes in the top thinking "I might have to slice this open to get all that hard crud out" but then I turned her foot over and found the big hole that came out the bottom of the foot [​IMG]
    Cleared that one out and the other one had the same issue only I found I could push the lump basically inside out and remove the plug. Basicaslly looked like a chunk of cheesy dirt, and maybe old hardened pus. Nothing liquid and smelly and the wound didn't look too inflamed.

I washed her feet in warm water and I used a cotton bud (Q-tip?) soaked in chlorhexidine solution to wipe inside the hollow and taped plastic bag over her feet ensuring she still has a full range of movement so she can walk and perch. I'll check her again tomorrow and see how she's going.

Thanks heaps for the tips.

Forgot to mention that when I was cleaning her up she threw up a bit, but I think it was just too much time upside down mixed with an injudiciously placed hand putting too much pressure on her crop. Poor old lady. I'll update if she continues to show distress.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You did well! Yes, that was bumblefoot, not a fun thing to deal with, I know from vast experience. Some birds are more prone to it than others, mainly larger ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by