Old Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThatChickenDude, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ThatChickenDude

ThatChickenDude Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2014
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    I have recently taken apart my old chicken coop as I have recently bought a new one and I am wondering can I rustle something up from the old bits of wood if I give a good clean to them? Or do I have to get rid of it.. Help would be really appreciated. ThatChickenDude

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Well what were you thinking of using the old coop wood for? I know I am a big fan of reusing everything and anything I can think of. I try not to buy new. I have become pretty handy putting stuff together out of scrap wood and such.

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I would reuse it if there wasn't a illness or parasite problem in there. If there was it would depend on what the problem was and how well it could be cleaned. What has you second guessing?

4. ThatChickenDude

Feb 4, 2014
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    I am planning to build a run with a new roll of chicken wire and the wood had no diseases or parasites and stuff like that. The wood is in great condition and had a animal friendly weathering paint on it. And the soil is normal and in good condition as well. That's what I propose to do with it... Is that a good idea to you guys? ThatChickenDude

1 person likes this.
  5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I think it is an excellent idea. No reason to buy expensive new wood to build with when you have perfectly good wood already at home for free.

1 person likes this.
  6. ThatChickenDude

Feb 4, 2014
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Thanks 'chicken pickin' for the help and 'foreverlearning' too for you guys' help!!! Really appreciate it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by