old chicken friends-hate each other?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Jan 5, 2012.

1. So on Friday we're getting chickens, and we already have 3 full grown chickens. They 3 chickens we have now grew up with the chickens we're getting on Friday (sorry if im confusing) I've heard that after a few days chickens forget each other, well theres a rooster with the other group of chickens. So I'm worried about fighting amongst the 2 roosters

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If you are only going to have 6 total chickens (1 roo and 2 hens in each group) there could be problems with the roos, and with the hens, for that matter. I would keep them separate but visable for a while so they can get used to one another first. Good luck!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't take the new rooster. There will be trouble. Two roosters is too much for just a few hens too.

4. Not 6 hens, more like 16 between both groups

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is almost a given that the two roosters will fight, perhaps to the death. The resident rooster will not want to give up his flock, and the newcomer will want to takeover. It's just how adult roosters operate with strangers, and at this point in the game they are strangers to one another.

6. Well our current roo is a game bird, but the other I'm not sure. We're gonna get the other roo but if they fight we'll get rid of him. I'll make sure they won't fight to death especially with the game rooster.

7. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    It took over a year before we successfully integrated our two flocks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by