Old coop for incoming chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MayLadybug, Oct 5, 2012.

1. MayLadybug

MayLadybug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    My Coop
    I just moved to a piece of property that has an old chicken shed on it. It is not very pretty, and someone has wrapped more chicken wire around this building that most folks would use for 4 seperate coops. I have wanted chickens for some time and always watch Craigslist. Well...a woman has a Baker's Dozen to get rid of due to divorce. So I am ripping and tearing some of this old wire down and hosing everything down. I scrubbed all the old feeders and watering cans in a mild bleach/soap solution and they are now drying. There are 3 gallon planter buckets installed for nesting. Can I just spray them with a bleach solution after I scrub it down, or do I need to remove them all, wash and sterilize them and then re-install them?

My biggest concern is predators. LIke I said, whoever was trying to do chickens here before had no clue on making it secure. So I am going to take most of the chicken wiring down, buy a few sheets of plywood and some hardwire cloth, and do the best I can. I have these chickens coming mid week...so I only have a couple days.

The landlady also has chickens and she seems to think it will be ok as long as I can make it predator proof. ?Any suggestions? It was pretty dirty in there and is sitting on dirt.

Thanks,

mayladybug

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello! Welcome to BYC from Kentucky! Bleach is a good choice. Ammonia will kill some parasites such as Coccidia that bleach will not touch. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Congratulations and good luck with your chickens.

[​IMG]

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    x2 on red barn farms advice. good luck to ya :)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and[​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] How long has it been since chickens have occupied the coop?

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. MayLadybug

MayLadybug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    My Coop
    It's been over a year since any chickens in there. I scrapped out all the old straw, poop, and whatever else. Took a stiff brush to it with soap and disinfectant and then hosed it all down really well. I then sprayed the whole thing with Shaklee Basic G. It is a great disinfectant. Left it to sit over a couple days to dry it out. 'Tomorrow I will be buying hard wire and a few 2x4's and some screws and maybe a piece or two of plywood to enclose it a bit more and make it much more predator proof. Pics to come later. I am soooo excited. I have 13 layers coming on either Tuesday or Wednesday. This has been a major challenge for me physically, as well as I have never been a farmer or carpenter...I am so motivated. I have wanted chickens and been watching and studying on this site for 6 months. It is finally going to happen and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the welcomes and ideas.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Sounds like you have done everything you need to do - if it has been a year it is unlikely pathogens would persist that long.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by