old coop/New coop

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
Hi Everyone,

So I had to get a new coop as I was not expecting "Chicken Math". So I went out and bought a bigger coop. I put my five small newer chickens in he old coop and the 7 older 18 week old chickens in the bigger coop until the others are big enough to integrate with the older girls and al be in the big coop. My 18 month old girls were less than excited to go in and even started thrashing about inside. Should I leave them cooped up for some time so that they will go back to this coop on there own? Will they always try to get to the other coop instead? They are right next to each other and unfortunately the new one doesn't have a run yet. The older one will not be open so i'm not worried that they will be able to get in. Just don't want to chase chickens around every night trying to get them in the coop. How long should I keep them in the coop before letting them out?

Try to build a run for the new coop as quickly as you can. Without the run, I think that the ones in the new coop will return to the old coop for awhile once you let them outside free ranging. They won't have landmarks imprinted in their brain to tell them to go to the new coop. Having a run will teach them that they need to go into the new coop to sleep.
Dale-Ann

Yes I'm going to make sure that gets done ASAP. Should I leave them in the coop for any specific period of time so they realize that this is there new home or will it not matter?

just an update. After their second night in the coop....and I still let them free range during both days and phyiscally put them in the coop at night. The third night I thought I would wait until dar and see what happens....They all went in to roost by themselves. Smart Girls!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom