Old coop remodel or new coop build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pelican49, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Below is a picture from my new property that I haven't moved to yet.

In the background is the existing coop, which is in very sad shape. Originally I'd planned on remodeling it and using the concrete pad (previous owner's basketball court) in front as a patio, once painted. Now, after seeing all the really cute coops on here, I'm thinking of starting from scratch with a new coop and building it on this existing concrete pad. It'd probably keep predators from digging in. I'll have to figure out a way to permanently anchor the new coop to the pad for those high Oklahoma winds.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea. It'll be a couple months before I even start building, so I'm open to any/all suggestions.

[​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I would say build new on the concrete. I think it would be easier

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW If I had a concrete pad just sitting there I would certainly use it.........you can put in posts all around the concrete but in the dirt...........that would hold it down.I know how winds are here..... have fun.I am in the process of building a new walk in coop myself.......

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Plus new coop= more birds [​IMG]

5. 54smokepole

54smokepole Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2008
    North Dakota
    Anchoring your coop to the cement is no problem. You need a hammer drill and a masory bit the same size as the anchors you will use. If you can borrow a hammer drill great, if not rent one or by a cheapy. I bought an off brand 1/2 hammer drill for around $30. If you are only going to drill a few holes I wouldn't waste money on a good drill.

When you install your anchors, put them at odd intervals. If you are going 16 inches on center, then you can put them anywhere except 16, 32, 48 inches etcetera. You don't want the anchors where your studs will be, otherwise you will have to use a sill plate.

Drill your holes with the masonry bit and drill. Then pound the anchors into the hole. When you tighten the nuts on them, they will expand into the concrete.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I never have enough coop space. I would build a new one on the slab and also repair the old one that could be used for a brooder or a bachelor pad. The extra space is a good way of being prepared in case you need to isolate one also.

bigzio

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree build on the concrete slab, believe me I know winds. I would do as 54smokepole said. He sounds like a carpenter, and he gave you good advice. No use digging holes in the ground on the outside of the floor, you would just have to fill the gaps on the outside of the concrete.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I vote the same as everyone else [​IMG] And definitely do it by sinking anchor hardware into the concrete rather than trying to build outside its edges.

You might consider having the coopwards few feet of the run be on the concrete as well, to minimize mud problems around the high-traffic pophole.

And if it were me I would not tear down that old coop back there either, since someday it may come in real handy... even if that time is just now until you get a new coop built [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

9. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    It's whatever you want. I got rid of my original chicken house--probably 30 years old when I moved there. I wish now I would have kept it and fixed it up. I've went from 20' X 8' chicken house w/individual runs--got to be too much work to now I have a 8' X6' house w/20' X 10' run. Plus when I get home, they get to roam yard. The plus of a smaller house is that it keeps me from making a fun hobby into work.

10. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate any help I can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by