Old Coop Reno! (my first coop)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kevlar, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kevlar

kevlar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    So we moved to a new property about a month ago and out in the back there was an old coop that had not been used in about twenty years. I asked the landlord if I could get chickens and she said I could do what ever I wanted with it so my chicken adventure began.

Here is a a few pics of it when we moved in before the renos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw a bunch of others coops had nesting boxes that you could access from outside so I ripped the old ones off the wall and cut a hole on the front wall and moved them, I reused as much of the old boxes a possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it also needed a new door, also constructed from old reclaimed cedar fencing lying around the yard.

[​IMG]

I decided to build my chickens a run also it is 18'x14' and 5' high with the wire buried 14" below grade and 6" out. I now know that this might not be high enough and it is not covered but I will see how my birds do and have plans to extend and cover in the future.

[​IMG]

this is my gate (not finished) I have some metal roofing paneling that I will attach to it

[​IMG]

well thats it for now this is a work in progress but Im having fun so far!

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Nice job , it's off topic but I love the view behind it [​IMG]

3. kevlar

Aug 17, 2011
    Thank you and yes I love the view too! I also forgot to mention that I am also re-roofing the coop as well

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

wow ur so lucky! [​IMG]

-subscribing for updates-

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Looking Good!!
    [​IMG]
    What kind of chickens are you getting??

6. kevlar

Aug 17, 2011
    so far I am going to pick up two Buff Brahmas in a few days I might have a line on some Bantam Silver Phoenix cross' and I might know someone with some Buff Orpingtons. I want to get 8-12 total and I would like to have a bunch of different types of breeds [​IMG]

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Very cool!! How fun!!

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    How lucky are you!? Looks like you will have some happy chickens! Until you completely enclose and hardware cloth your run, make sure you lock those gals up at night [​IMG]

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awesome!!! what part of the country is this? what beautiful views! [​IMG]

10. kevlar

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes I plan on locking them in their coop at night for sure, I might not finish/enclose the run for a bit but I a planning on having part of the run covered with roofing panels so they will have a bit of a run for the winter.

We live in the west Kootenays of B.C. Canada in a place called Tarrys/Thrums it is between Nelson and Castlegar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by