Old coop renovation questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KCFly, Nov 30, 2016.

1. KCFly

KCFly Just Hatched

Nov 7, 2016
    Kansas City, MO area
    Hello!

I've been lurking for several months, but we have begun to renovate an old chicken coop to use in the spring.

I believe this old coop and run were used for both chickens and as a dog run at some point. In either case, it hadn't been used for at least 5-7 years when we bought the place 3 years ago. So, its been sitting unused for nearly 10 years. It's pretty good sized, I am planning on starting with 8-10 chicks and seeing where chicken math takes me. Should have room for up to 20 in the space we have. The coop is 8x10 and the run is 12x16.

Do I need to worry about any pests (like mites, etc) or other flock diseases after all that time? basically do I need to invest in some bleach???

The coop area has about 1/2 concrete floor and 1/2 dirt.
    The run has the entire ground covered with 6x12 flat paver stones so its basically a concrete floor with lots of seams where a few things grow. (maybe 1/8" cracks)

Anyway, we're excited to get started and have begun the process of cleaning out the old junk stored in there, getting some sort of roof on the run and just learning what I can.

The coop is inside a barn, the run is attached and fenced with 7' chain link fencing.

Thanks for any help!

-Brad

2. Bantam brother

Bantam brother Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    United States of America
    Sounds like a good coop and run!!!

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Can you share a photo or two? (pictures being worth 1,000 words and all that)

4. KCFly

KCFly Just Hatched

Nov 7, 2016
    Kansas City, MO area
    Well, of course. I don't know what I was thinking!

This is a before shot... It was a little overgrown..

[​IMG]

Here it is after some clean out, and put a roof over most of the run using a roof that had blown off a porch on the other side of the barn. So far, all materials are just stuff lying around...

[​IMG]

And an indoor shot of where the coop will be. I took out the wall as it was in poor shape and will have to rebuild it. Lots of planning going on right now.. You can see the pop door in the back. Need to add lots of ventilation..

[​IMG]

Thanks. Still would love to know if I need to bleach everything, or if after sitting for 10 years it would be ok to introduce new chickens.

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    You shouldn't have to worry about disease residue after that amount of time.

6. KCFly

KCFly Just Hatched

Nov 7, 2016
    Kansas City, MO area
    Thanks!

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! It's wonderful to have a good structure as a base, and it should work out very well. I agree about no disease risk after ten years, super. The run roof needs a lot more support; more framing in the walls, so it doesn't blow off here too. Where are you located weatherwise? Generally, big hardware cloth covered windows on the south wall, and large vents up high on the walls, work very well for the coop. Also, dig-proof the base of both coop and run. Doors wide enough to get in with a cart or something to make clean-out easier. Electricity! For lights, water heater in winter, and brooding chicks. A divider so two pens can be used as needed. A corner for the feed in metal garbage cans. Mary

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I cant' imagine anything's alive after 10 years. The longest lived thing I've heard of is I think Mareks, and under totally ideal conditions it can last I think 60 months. You're all good.

Looks like a nice set up. Good idea to start smaller, and go with the flow as to how many birds you really want and can manage.

9. KCFly

KCFly Just Hatched

Nov 7, 2016
    Kansas City, MO area
    Thanks for the feedback. The roof probably has more support than you can see in the photos but will be getting some additional strengthening before I'm done. It has already survived some 30-40 mph winds so I know I'm on the right track.

We are in the Kansas City, MO area. So, hot summers (100 degree temps at times with high humidity) and cold winters with the potential for temps below zero and snow on the ground for periods of time. Its not as cold as long as it is in Minnesota/Michigan,etc but still pretty cold at times.

The coop will be getting some big windows cut in. The North wall of the coop shares a wall with the barn so there will be a big window that opens into the barn which should provides lots of ventilation without any drafts. Another window will be cut into the south wall to lets lots of sunshine in. The replacement wall (which faces east) will have the nest boxes, man door, and more ventilation up high.

I've got electricity in the barn so I will definitely be adding some outlets over by and in the coop for lights, heat, doors, etc.

there are plans in the works for a smaller quarantine/brooder area in the coop.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the feedback as I have never been around chickens before.

10. KCFly

KCFly Just Hatched

Nov 7, 2016
    Kansas City, MO area
    Thanks for the welcome!

Definitely a start small plan. We all need to learn how to live with chickens before we get too many and get overwhelmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by