Old crap = New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ozark_chickies, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Here is the little coop we just started using salvaged material. The windows and siding were all free. The roof is roofing that blew off my house in a tornado.

[​IMG]

I love this old door. It is homemade tounge and grove solid wood. It was stacked in the cellar when I bought my house.

[​IMG]

We need to preasure wash, and paint everything. Some of the siding is really dirty.

[​IMG]

We still have to finish the inside. We need to insulate, add roosts, and nest boxes. We also need to put hardwire cloth over the windows, so they can be opened next summer.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You are off to a great start. Can't wait to see the finished product.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very creative! Good job, using those recycled materials! A very "green" coop!

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    not too shabby! [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Great job! [​IMG]

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    A great start and a super saver by using recycled materials.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    WOW!!! That looks good. I have a bunch of junk around my place come on over and see if there is anything that would be usable to make me some nice coops.[​IMG]

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Awesome upcycled coop! My coop is made from my Mother's old porch that was replaced, my little sisters old windows from her room remodel, a pool liner that had a leak, a pallet from some sheet rock that was delivered, and other odds and ends, I really enjoy it and the fact that all I really spent was time and the money for the screws and nails and hinges. Oh, and the whole $7 I spent for paint at Lowe's out of the "No Formula, one can only, 80% off" bin.

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    That is great!!

10. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks everyone! We bought treated lumber to frame it, and roofing bolts, hinges and the door latch. The siding came with screws, which we reused. We have the insulation left over from another project, and wallboard (also free) to go up over the isulation. I haven't bought the paint, yet, but will probably choose some from the marked down cans at Lowes. I'm hoping for green to match my other coop, but won't be to picky [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by