Old Dads and Christmas

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Dad, who is 87, called last night. He was returning my call from a couple weeks ago.
    He also let me know how much he would be sending us for Christmas. He sends money every year to each of us kids, me and my five half-siblings. Doesn't do any good to tell him not to send it; you'll get it anyways.
    The last few years I have sent Dad a restaurant gift card each year, for the various restaurants he has in his town. He loves to dine out and he's still thanking me for the cards in June; so I think he really enjoys them.
    This year I was going to do something different and send him a DVD from the Discovery Channel. I hadn't made my mind up which one yet, either WWII in HD or the series on the USS Enterprise. He's a Navy man, through and through.
    However, Dad told me yesterday NOT to send him anything for Christmas and that if I MUST send him something to send him a bottle of Old Spice.
    My response to that was that after 60-odd years of getting gifts from us kids that he must have enough Old Spice to last through several lifetimes. Speaking for myself, I know that was the gift of choice for him from the time I could walk and talk. He swears he's fresh out.
    So...get him the Old Spice or get him something different? I really find it hard to believe that he doesn't have a secret stash of the OS somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    why not get him old spice and something else...

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    LOL Old spice is also my favorite but I am not quite in that age range, your right you can never have enough OS. I have watched that WWII in HD and it is fantastic, it would be a very thought full and treasured gift. I think once we both reach a certain age the Dad's are always the hardest to buy for, as they have everything and don't really need anything except socks w/o holes LOL.

AL

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Both!!!![​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The only reason I'm leaning towards the series on the USS Enterprise vs. the WWII one is that he's already seen the WWII one, but he hasn't seen the Enterprise one. I'm a 47 year old woman and even I enjoyed that one. Very good series. I'd get him the one on the Silent Service (he's was a submariner - what am I saying!? Once a submariner, always a submariner), but I think one of my siblings already got him that one.
    I'd send him the OS and the DVD set, but then I'd be in double trouble for sending two gifts when I was told to send nothing.

*Heavy sigh* There's always a need for more handkerchiefs, right?

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'd go with restaurant gift cards again, since they seemed to be so appreciated last time. In my experience, once people reach a certain age, "things", while appreciated and enjoyed, are also something else that needs to be stored somewhere (in what may be a residence that is already at maximum capacity from 8 decades of accumulation) and then disposed of when downsizing to move into a nursing home/assisted living etc. The best gifts are "consumables" - a gift that can be enjoyed but does not need storage or future disposition. I used to get my grandma packets of cookies, bottles of soda, tea and coffee, because she loved to be able to offer treats to people who visited her. Being unable to drive, picking up these things was something of an ordeal, and she appreciated being given them as gifts.

7. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I know your dilema..I hate giving MIL the same thing every year but I have found that the restraunt cards get used, but the towels, talecloths, clothes etc get stuck in the closet to be forever forgotten.

Last year we also gave her a photo album of pictures through the years..some important some not..my BIL says she looks at it all the time.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:.
    I'd send him the OS and the DVD set, but then I'd be in double trouble for sending two gifts when I was told to send nothing.
    *Heavy sigh* There's always a need for more handkerchiefs, right?

Somehow I get the idea he will love them both, we older Dads always smile on Christmas morning LOL.

AL

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dad B. likes gift cards to the bookstores. He reads a lot, so it's perfect.

Send the gifts anyway, Dads like having something to grumble about! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When my mom passed away 16 years ago, of course none of us girls had a handkerchief to carry to the funeral. After enduring the speech about how everyone should keep one on their person for emergencies, we watched Dad go into a drawer in his bedroom and pull out a package of them still partially wrapped in christmas paper. I swear that the handwriting (or should I say scribble?) on the gift tag was MINE, from when I was in the 5th grade, maybe? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by