Old Duck Goes at it, as an uninvited guest.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    As I have posted before, I have two 7 month old ducks mating.
    Ive gotten so many wonderful responses and posts that I just had to come here with my next question.

I also have an elderly male domestic bibbed mallard. He is around 13-17 years old. He is a rescue so I cant tell very accurately, but he is an oldie.

Well, the other day when I was doing duck pools My 2 youngsters (a buff (female) who is half the size of her mate(mallard) ) were going at it again, but this time, Monty, my old guy, tried to mount My male Mallard Chuck while Chuck was mounted on My Buff, Road Runner!

Now should I be worried?
    Road Runner, My Buff, is half the size of either of the males. She is a petite little thing.

Should I be worried that The"uninvited guest" will be too much of a strain on her? The pool they play in is not deep, they can stand in it if they wanted to.
    But I cant add any more ducks to my flock except any hatchings Road Runner has in the future, so more females is out of the question, and the ducks would be horribly upset if I separated them.

Any suggestions?
    Should I try to get Monty off i he mounts Chuck?
    I mean, i know that it is prolly just the mood of things that sets The old guy off, but I dont want my little angel Road Runner to get hurt.

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

It's more likely that Monty is trying to push Chuck out of the way, rather than mounting him. Whenever there is a mating pair in my pool it's a sure bet that one of the other males will come running over at the noise and try to push-pull the mating male off the female. [​IMG]

I'm in the same position; I can't get anymore ducks, but it's impossible to separate them (and I can't really bear to give any of my guys away). The only time this happens is when the females are in the pool and give the "hello boys" call. Otherwise they all get along great! I'd say that as long as your female isn't looking too ragged (bare neck, etc) you should be fine.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    She doesnt have a bare neck, her feathers are fine, and the old guy doesnt have much of a chance [​IMG] he is crippled, so hopefully this wont result in fighting.

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Same problem with my mallards. You really can't do anything about it , but she should be fine.

When my ducks see one mating pair they all try to "jump" in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by