1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old English bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens, Feb 23, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Who has them? Do they go broody a lot? Are they more broody than bantam cochins? And of course, pictures are welcome!

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are Lemon Blue Old English bantams......they do go broody often, maybe not as good as some cochins tho. Sometimes the roo's become aggressive but, overall they are good birds.

3. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Very pretty! Thanks for replying.
    I just love the variety of colors on them, but I have found pictures of Old English Game birds with really long legs, and then there are some with short legs. What is the difference? Is it the difference between bantam OEG and standard OEG?

4. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    my old english hens are always broody,,,cant get them off nests they see an egg and it is theirs..lol
    havent figured out how to post pics,wish i could,
    also,,i believe there is a dutch bantam that reminds me of the oe, and there are some oe that seem taller than mine too,,,but i dont know the answer really.,

5. mario2girls

Sep 5, 2007
    [​IMG]
    did i do it??? if so,,.here is one of mine.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    [​IMG]
    I have had many different OEG bantams. The hens are always so sweet. And very broody. One hen would hatch a clutch and leave the chicks and go right to setting more eggs. She hatched 4 clutches one summer. All the chicks were hand raised. I love them.[​IMG]

7. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I have some bbred oegbs. I have one hen go broody once, in two years. Here is some pictures of her, and where she went broody:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She wouldn't let dh clean off his worktable, and he was halted on building anything. If dh even came close to the worktable, she would start clucking, she only let me fill her feed and waterer that was near her. She was only sitting on four eggs, two she started with, and two we added, she hatched two of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Mario2girls. What color do you call that rooster? I found one at a swap. They look a lot alike.

9. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Farm girl, I love yours. Are they creles?

10. mario2girls

Sep 5, 2007
    i always thought he was spangled,,,i could be wrong,,,is he mottled??? not really sure,,,what do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by