old english game bantams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old english game bantams have a mixed up heritage, many people believe that they descended from the large fowl old english or incorrectly named "fighting cocks" but many people also believe they're barnyard bantams... With a little research i have found they came from the barnyard bantams "but" they also contain blood from the large fowl old english i believe. They're just a show bird, but make awesome little pets. In the US they contain Dutch and Rosecomb blood, with some also having sebright and other breeds to make the new varieties..

Before that they had a whip/pinched tail and were pretty bulky in the body from what i understand, so to build a more balanced show bird the american breeders bred in the Dutch and Rosecomb. In the UK though there are two types of bantams and the large fowl, Carlisle which is purely for show, and the Oxfords. Oxfords are game, meaning they will fight after a certain age, but they're primarily used for show now as well.

The reason for the two clubs is once cockfighting was outlawed the breeders separated into two, people who believed they did not need gameness bred for show. People who believed they needed to maintain gameness to preserve the breed bred to keep the gameness and to make a fine show bird. Just as the American gamefowl and other Gamefowl are being bred in the US now, they're starting to take part in the same history...

Quote:
It really depends. The american old english game bantams (and large fowls most of the time) are not used for fighting, strictly show birds. Over in the UK though the Oxfords large fowl and bantams are bred to be game for breed preservation. But not necessarily for fighting, some i suppose, but it is mainly just a characteristic of the breed.

Quote:
None in the US. It is now illegal.

thumbsup.gif

illegal or not millions still do it and birds are shipped to were it is legal. i dont belive cock fighting will ever die out im just trien to get sum history with it and what breeds is used in it

we don't really talk peta or fighting. Tread lightly on that subject and stick to history. DTChickens told you breeds used and pretty much it's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom