1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old English Game Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by isaacsmommy104, Jul 25, 2010.

1. isaacsmommy104

isaacsmommy104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    Hello,
    I have a trio of Old English Game Bantams. The rooster is a Black Breasted Red and the two Hens are Spangled. I want to know if breeding them will result in either or color varieties? I was not sure if it was acceptable to cross the varieties or not. If anyone knows I would appreciate the input. Thank you for your time.

Tracy

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I wouldnt, the colors wouldnt be right...

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes they should, if the hens are true Spangleds, then they should be mottled BBReds and since mottling is recessive, crossing them would give chicks that look like pure BBReds and if bred back together or to the Spangled hens, they would produce more Spangles as well as BBReds.

Can you post some pics of the hens so we can make sure they are true Spangleds ( Motted BBRed and not Motted Red Columbian like some I have seen)

4. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    It would be much easier and get better quality birds to get BB pullets and a spangle cock bird and breed them straight.

5. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    Sorry it double posted.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. isaacsmommy104

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    I can get some better pictures tomorrow if needed. This is all I have right now. Thanks for the help so far! It's very much appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. isaacsmommy104

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    They really aren't good pictures. I will get better ones tomorrow. It's bothering me now! [​IMG]

8. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Yes they should, if the hens are true Spangleds, then they should be mottled BBReds and since mottling is recessive, crossing them would give chicks that look like pure BBReds and if bred back together or to the Spangled hens, they would produce more Spangles as well as BBReds.

Can you post some pics of the hens so we can make sure they are true Spangleds ( Motted BBRed and not Motted Red Columbian like some I have seen)

My bad, but either way you would be making a crossbred, which I dont like doing, but whatever floats your boat...

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You wouldn't be making a crossbred? bird as both parents are OEGBs.

10. isaacsmommy104

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    They wouldn't be crossbreeds. I just don't want to screw up the colors. I know in many breeds you just get either or. That was my issue. Here are better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by