Old English Game Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gagirly, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I'm at a sale right now and thinking about buying a pair of OEGB. They look like the variety columbian. The rooster, however, has some yellowed feathers on his back. It could be dirt (I live in GA and we have lots of red clay) or maybe he grew yellowish feathers. Is this common to see ? The hen has perfect color.

2. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Where they feeding him corn ? some times that will change there color or could just be dirt . most columbians are white not yellow . i just look it up in the book of standers and it says . Back : silvery white
    Quote:

3. bigb-71

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    COLUMBIAN MALE : COLOR head: silvery white , neck : hackle-- web of feather , lustrous greenish black, with a narrow laceing of silvery white ; greater portion of shaft black . FRONT OF NECK : -- white . BACK: silvery white . CAPE: black and white . SADDLE-- silvery white with an elongeted V-shape black stripe increaseing in with , length and densityas it nears the tail . note -- The stripe should extend from the tip of feather approximately one - half to three fourths the length of the web ans allow a clean break of white between the undercolor and base of stripe . TAIL: main tail black . main and lesser sickles--greenish black .coverts-- lustorus. greenish black , laced with silvery white . WING: fronts -- white , some black permissible. bows and coverts -- silvery white . primaries -- black with lower edge of lower web white . secondaries: lower web unexposed portion, black; exposed portion, white; upper web ,black edged with white ; the white exstending around end of feathers . the white end of the upper secondaries grow progessively wider so the exsposed portion in the upper row is entirely white; forming a white wing bay when wing is folded . BREAST : white . BODY AND FLUFF : BODY-- white except underwing where it my be bluish slate . hope this helps strait out of the BOOK OF STANDER. [​IMG]

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:It is common for the males to discolor in heavy sun. They are vey bad about sun brassing.

5. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    That does help. Thanks ! Didn't know about corn possibly coloring the feathers. Everything looks right except for the area on his back looks yellowish. I went ahead and bought them. I'll see what happens when he moults. He's put together nicely and I especially like the hen. They both look pretty young.

6. bigb-71

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    O ya forgot about the sun thing also that can change them to ! [​IMG]
    Quote:It is common for the males to discolor in heavy sun. They are vey bad about sun brassing.

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    You have to really watch them alot like a white, try to keep direct sun exposure to a minimum, and restrict the amount of corn and grass, otherwise they do yellow or sun brass real quick.

here is shot of one of our cockrells from this year..
    [​IMG]

8. bigb-71

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    very nice ! [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by