1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

old English game bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cute bantams, Jan 29, 2015.

1. cute bantams

cute bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    does anyone have any experience with OEG bantams and if so could you share any management techniques or forewarnings General stories etc .… I'm considering getting some lemon blue OEG show birds thanks in advance

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Have 2 but they are not show birds. Only pets. Easy to handle. sit on my hands. Small, and fast. Both from different sources. Both look similar but Shannon (all have names) has longer legs. I refer to her as my " Paris runway model " Only laid about 2 eggs in her life. She is young , Both are at bottom of pecking order, of small flock I have.
    [​IMG]

3. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    LOL I like the names haha what colors are they

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    They are Light brown and buff. Look at mt pix. they are the smallest ones I currently have. They are not pedigrees All my chicks are MUTTS and I love them all.

5. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    They are cute the standard hens don't bully them excessively ?

6. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    They all get along well. Of course when I bring them some treats. You know who gets the LIONS SHARE. =D . But then there is always some left over and the bottom feeders get some also. Just a little later. No fighting. All hens.

7. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    That's good mine fight always pecking each other on the head flapping each other with their wings

8. jophus

jophus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've been raising OEGB about 2 years now. You don't have to have show quailty OEGB to enjoy them, as some of my favorites have been hatchery birds. It costs the same amount, however, to raise really nice birds as it dpes to raise the ones from the hatcheries. They are cheap to feed compared to large fowl, many are very friendly and become very tame. Some of the roosters become aggressive, but many get to be very tame. They can be quite comical. You can keep them in smaller spaces (many of mine are kept in pens as pairs with 6-8 sq ft of space). Steve Ledford has nice lemon blues. Keep in mind that any blue OEGB will not breed true. Breeding a lemon blue to a lemon blue will give you 50% lemon blue, 25% lemon black (brown red) and 25% splash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by