Old English Game ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigspringshatchery, Jul 25, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I'm wanting to pick up a pair or so OEGB. There is a guy that sells them locally here. He said he will only sell by the pair. He wants 20 a pair for ones that are about to lay. I gave a few questions.

1. Is this a good price
    2. Are they good layers like my RIRs
    3. What is a good breed to go with or are they all the same just look different?

2. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    where in bama are you ? and what color are the oegb , and are you wanting to show them ? [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    That is a good price if you ask me! Especially if he has breeder stock instead of hatchery stock. I sell mine for $10 each usually. OEGBs are decent layers, but they lay tiny eggs and aren't as consistent as a production breed. They make excellent pets and are quite energetic and outgoing despite their small size. Mine like to fly on my back and shoulders when I go in the coop because they're so friendly! They do just fine with larger breeds although they're small.

I'm biased, though, they're one of my favorites. [​IMG] If you're looking specifically for layer birds you might want to pass and go for something bred more for production, but as pets and decorative birds they're wonderful and very fun. I love my OEGBs!

4. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I'm in Randolph county. I'm not wanting to show. I jus want a few to raise to add to my flock. I have 9 others RIR hens I use as egg layers. Now I'm tryin to build up a few birds to sell eggs for hatching and to sell the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by