Old English Hen with cold or pink eye????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justuschicks, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I have a young Old English pullet who is having eye problems and possible cold symptoms. Last week I noticed her just sitting in the corner of her pen with her eyes closed. I figured she was just taking a rest but when I came back later and notice her in the same spot and getting run over by all the other chicks I picked her up and noticed that she wasn't able to keep her eyes open. They looked very irritated and red. There are few if any goobers in her eyes. I flushed them out with saline solution thinking maybe she got some dust from the shavings in her eyes....that didn't help. I have some pink eye meds from when one of my kids had pink eye and have been giving her a drop in each eye once a day and have given her some penn g sub q the last couple days. She also seems to have a plugged nose because when she breaths she pops open her beak to take a breath. She is eating and drinking ok....poo is ok. I am also using VetRx on her nose/beak area. Anything else I should be doing? She is sleeping on my shoulder right now with her head tucked under her wing. She is such a sweet girl and sooo little. She is almost 10 weeks and is the size of a 4 week old. [​IMG] She's my munchkin.

2. HayleyDeakin

HayleyDeakin New Egg

May 17, 2012
    Hi, Im intersted in what happened to your hen as I have an OE hen with exactly the same symtoms? How she is ok x

3. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Hi, did you get an answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by