1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old English hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BackyardBantams, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BackyardBantams

BackyardBantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Raleigh
    The info I've been getting from the internet -angry fist- is all over the place on these birds. I got two at a livestock swap today and was looking for some first hand info on them. So far, I've confirmed that they're loud. They yell at me when I come near the coop. What I'm worried about is the aggressiveness of them. I have two other bantams, an RIR and a Barred Rock and I don't want them to be bullied. Was also wondering about their egg production.

Thanks!

2. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I have never had any issues with aggression in any of my OEGB and I have owned dozens of them at this point. They are not the best layers. I get maybe 2-3 eggs a day out of 6 hens I have left, if I am lucky. They were bred to be exhibition animals, not laying hens.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Do have bantams or standards?

4. BackyardBantams

BackyardBantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Raleigh
    Yeah I figured on the laying. But even that many eggs is fine with me. Not sure what's meant by bantam or standard. I thought old english were small anyway? Or if you meant the other two, they're bantams.

5. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    OEG Hens are some of my favorite breeds!
    They are such sweethearts! Never had an issue with them.
    They are spunky, broody, friendly, cuddly, easy to handle, and cute.

The males on the other hand......mine was horrible ._.
    So i vow to only have OEG females never ever ever again males!

P.S all mine were bantams

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Well, there is Old English, some ppl called them "pit games", used for fighting. Then there are the small OEG bantams. Thats what I have. Females are just wonderful . All my males have great attitudes. Some can be mean. Its all how you handle them.

7. EM Squared Farms 2

EM Squared Farms 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    FL
    The hens are usually friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by