1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old English or Dutch? And Buff Brahma. Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AuberyMirkwood, Sep 19, 2011.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Both of these birds are from an Ideal Bantam assortment. They are 6.5 weeks old. I think the first is a self blue Old English or Dutch. What do you think? The second is a Buff Brahma. Too early to sex?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Self Blue 20th Century Fowl (Modern Game) & Buff Brahma. Probably to early to tell gender.

3. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:Oh thank you :) I just looked up Modern Games and that's exactly what she looks like. I hadn't considered that breed as I though she did not show enough of a tall carriage, but being a hatchery bird I shouldn't have expected her to be show quality.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    The self blue looks like an OEGB to me ... stance is not upright enough for modern game

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:I agree. He does not look like a Modern Game. He's most likely an OEGB.

I think the Brahma could be a pullet, but that comb is awful red for the age. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

6. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:So what's the difference between a bad quality Modern and an Old? Or a Dutch lol?

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Dutch have white earlobes and they're super tiny.

8. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:I agree. He does not look like a Modern Game. He's most likely an OEGB.

I think the Brahma could be a pullet, but that comb is awful red for the age. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

Only one of 24 of my 6.5 week old chicks aren't red. They have been red since 4 weeks old [​IMG] This is something I have been bewildered by. Even the obvious pullets are red. My theory is the fact that they have been in the run since 2.5 weeks as it was super warm here. They have been really happy and I didn't lose any but the only thing I can think of to explain the redness is the fact that they have had access to the sun so long.

Would it be easier to guess if I took pictures of the 4 light Brahmas of the same age?

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The first is a self blue OEGB roo....just like mine [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:How old is your little guy? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by