Old English or Dutch?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yoie, Apr 8, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

This little chick is now 3 weeks old. How can you tell if its a old english or a dutch bantam?
    [​IMG]
    sorry about the other chick in the way, it was the only way I could get her to stay for the pic. Her legs are gray in color if that helps.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

The only way I know to spot the difference is on adult birds. The Dutch Bantams have white earlobes. I'm no expert though. I'm sure somebody else will be able to give you a better answer.

3. kandooshe

kandooshe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dutch, maybe pure but not sure about it, but it's not english

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Dutch have white earlobes, green (I believe, could be slate?) legs, and I believe brown eyes. Old English have red earlobes, white legs, and red eyes (though brown is acceptable in dark fowl.)

-Daniel

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

See?! I told you somebody with a clue would show up, soon!

[​IMG]

6. yoie

thanks for the responses! now to take a better look at my little guy!

7. yoie

I think I have a Dutch! Took Chip to a nice bright light to get a better look and looks like it has brown eyes and the legs do have a greenish tint to them. Yay, I have finally figured out all my chicks [​IMG]

8. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Quote:Almost all of my "Old English" have slate legs...do they differ color to color? I have mostly blues and varities there of. Not but one or two pink legs in the house. All are supposed to be purebred OEBGs from both breeders and hatcheries. They have the red earlobes at least, not white.

Edit to say they all have slate/gray legs in various shades. Not all of them are super dark gray.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  9. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    old english can have white legs, blue legs or black legs...some colors call for light slaty blue legs, leaden black, etc....but from white to black, no yellow, green, willow, etc...

10. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Quote:Thank you for clearing that up. We are new to raising OEGBs, so these are the types of things we are trying to learn as we go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by