Old English Qs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by digginchicks, Mar 25, 2009.

1. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    So what breed would all of you old english fowl breeders suggest for showing and what would the chicks for them cost

2. digginchicks

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    anyone?? Even for pets

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Bantams or large fowl?

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I think Wheaton oegb are good for show, but really all oegb are good for show, here is a pic of our wheaton oegb.
    [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love the silver AND golden duckwings.... both bantam and standard.

6. digginchicks

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I don't really care if they are large fowl or bantams. I just want to get some idea before I'm ready to order. I know I want oeg but don't have any clue as to what or who to get them from

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Most of the hatcheries have several to choose from.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html
    http://www.idealpoultry.com/
    Are a couple. But I wouldnt bet on getting show birds from the hatcheries. I would try to find a breeder that raises them locally, or that will ship you some chicks. I raise OEGBs but I cant ship birds. I do ship eggs. Hope this helped you out. Good luck.

8. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    For one you don't want hatchery birds at all for showing,

Personally I like the Blues, Blacks, and Splashes.

I raise some reletively new colors

Chocolate
    [​IMG]

Pearl Pyles or known as Opals
    [​IMG]

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    it all depends on what you wan't, Do you wan't to rush into the showing and do good but have tough competition? go with BBred, white, or black.. these are three main variety colors that most people start out with because its easy to tell defects and most anyone has them, leading to a fair chance of getting good quality birds from a breeder. Or do you wan't to build up a variety like one of the new ones starting out.. Not much competition.. And you can go down in "History" plus expose a new beautiful color..

Try looking here: http://www.bantychicken.com/cgi-bin/OEGBCA/index.cgi these guys could help you out and theres PLENTY pictures of every variety being its the OEGBCA.. (Old english game bantam club of america)

PS. my favorite variety is the silver duckwings [​IMG] i also like the silver quills too, once i find time i may get some.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  10. digginchicks

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Okay thank you for all of the responces. I just wanna have them to take to 4-h and stuff like that for now but would love to get many more when I have some luck with that. I'm only a teen that is still in high school and just into poultry a year ago.

The main thing that i'm worried about is dubing the OEG do you have to do this with many other breeds of poultry or are these the main birds? and is it hard and painful?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by