Old English Rooster I believe....How do I tell how old it is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bames, Aug 11, 2010.

1. bames

bames New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    Hi, We found this really great rooster a month ago and are really enjoying him. We have been told that he is an Old English rooster. I have researched this breed and it seems like there are many different varities. My daughter is going to bring him to the local fair and we are trying to figure out his age. He crows and has spurs that are about one inch long. We live in Alaska and have been told that he is in great shape that he either spent the winter inside or is young. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Age can be hard to determine. But I would say he is young. If his spurs were never cut then I would say he is between 1-2years old. I think he would be a Gold Duckwing OEGB. I have Silver Duckwing OEGB. This is mine, but this around 1 1/2 years old.[​IMG]

3. bames

bames New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    Thank you for your quick reply! I am going to take a picture of his spurs and I will post it. I was leaning towards the Gold Duckwing also. Are these pretty common birds? Thanks!

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    As far as the Duckwing Bantams commonness goes, I have no clue. I would guess they would be fairly common. When I started raising bantams I picked out some from a man that had all kinds (mostly crosses) But at the time I did not know there were different breeds. The common colors he had were red and gray (duckwing) coloration. So around here I would think that they would be common, but probably not pure. Your area might be different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by