old enough to integrate????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dreamdoc, Apr 4, 2018.

1. dreamdoc

dreamdoc Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    My 8 week old chicks have been living out in the coop with their own run for a week. They are visible to adults but separated from adults. When can I begin integrating them into the adult flock?

2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Describe your adults.....how many chicks, how many adults, what breeds?

3. dreamdoc

dreamdoc Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Adults: two wyndottes, one sexlinked, one ameracauna and one banty rooster
    Chicks: two ameracaunas and two welsummers. Have alot of room in run and coop

4. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Mine are 8 weeks, and have been visible to the bigs for 3 weeks. I've got a couple of mean older hens, so I don't feel ready to let them all be together. The elders outnumber the youngsters, 7 to 5. I have put my 2 bantam hens in with the youngsters, who are standard size and that went okay. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks for the whole gang. Let us know how it goes w yours....

5. JMotuzick

JMotuzick Songster

Oct 31, 2017
    Northwest Connecticut
    My main flock (13, 12 hens and a roo) is to much for my 4 6 week olds wynedottes I’m going to put them in with my limping leg horn, and a new to me polish this weekend. I have little time to babysit right now, so I’ll isolate for a week in the coop I think. Then just hope for the best!

6. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I would try it now. If you can make a panic door for them to get back into their area, it will help make the integration easier. Also keep their food and water in there for them.

I raised mine in my coop brooder using the MHP. I started integrating nine new chicks last weekend when they were 4 & 4 1/2 weeks old. I have ten 1 year old chickens, 5 RIR, 2 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington & 2 EE's. I have a panic door for the brooder so the chicks can get away if needed. The big girls can't get through the opening. The chicks have food and water in the brooder also. It's been going really good, only a peck here and there, but nothing aggressive. This is the first time I brooded in the coop, and integrated so early, this is how I will be doing it from now on, it's worked out so good.

20180330_134917.jpg 20180324_165043.jpg

SueT likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: