Old farmer / neighbor said "no grass"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jennmugg, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jennmugg

jennmugg In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    Yesterday my neighbor, who has been farming / raising livestock since the 50's told me that if I let my chickens free range or eat grass their yolks will come out a very "unpleasant orange yellow". Thoughts?

2. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    yum!! Would you rather have sickly almost white yolks?

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I can't think of any other word for this remark than "idiot". Don't mean to be rude but that's just the dumbest thing I ever heard! [​IMG] Was he a commercial chicken farmer who just wanted pale dull and bland eggs? Must've been! [​IMG]

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My egg yolks are a brilliant orange. I get alot of compliments on them from my buyers. My chickens free range all day and eat lots of bugs and grass (not including their treats and pellets).

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    He's crazy... commercial egg producers feed their chickens marigold petals to turn the yolks a darker orange, because the look better. And, Mother Earth News compared free-range, grass-eating chickens eggs to store-bought, and the free-range eggs had 10 times the vitamins and nutrients. So let the chickens eat all the grass they want.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com, www.AustinCountyBB.com

PS: After I mow, I rake up the grass and throw it in the chicken yard.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I can understand a bit what he means- last fall we had girls loving on new grass, and the yolks were dark orange with a weird bit of a green hue- past the rich orangey yellow we normally see- truly a little green!

It did freak me out a tiny bit, but I'd take that any old day compared to the anemic pasty stuff you get from poor battery hens that eat anything and everything plus newspaper....

7. jennmugg

jennmugg In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    [​IMG]

My response when he told me that was "is that bad?"... Just wondered if I was off base, but judging by the comments it was he who was off base. I'll continue to let them chow down as much as they want. We also give them mowed grass and move the tractor every few days to give them fresh grass.

8. chseeads

chseeads Songster

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yeah...the "unpleasant orange yellow" seems to be what everybody wants when they talk about 'farm fresh' type of eggs....so not sure where that guy's ideas come from.....

I actually never have been one to care if yolks were dark or not, to me an egg is an egg either way....lol....

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The whole reason most of my egg customers buy my eggs is for their rich orange, tasty yolks!
    I'm with Tipsy. The guy is an idiot.

10. Isn't that what you would want? I mean golden orange yellows??
    I would pay extra for that in the store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: