1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old Fart new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maxairedale, Mar 21, 2013.

1. maxairedale

maxairedale New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    South Central Kentucky
    Hi All,

Name here is Gary and I'm located in South-central Kentucky.

After retiring almost a year ago, my wife felt that I needed another hobby so we now have 6 White Longhorn chicks about 4 weeks old. It is amazing how big they have gotten in the 2 weeks we have had them.

Keeping chickens are new to us, so I'm sure that I (we) will have many questions. I've been lurking here for the past couple weeks reading and getting ideas and info. We built our coop using ideas from BYC. Thanks.

I can see that this is a forum that is full of info, similar to another one I belong to (non chicken related).

Regards,
    Gary

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. kadizkidz

kadizkidz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC this is a wonderful site

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

6. brezlynsmom

brezlynsmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Welcome and enjoy your new hobby

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Gary, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Never too late to get into the chicken lifetsyle!! Good luck to you and have fun!

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. Sandywitch

Sandywitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm another old fart in South-central Kentucky! I've been retired for a while now (he's still working and living in TN), but hubby will be retiring (the second time) in about two months. I think he'll wish he was back at work so that he can rest! Although I'm living on the edge of town now, we also have 22 acres nearby. We'd like to eventually live "off the grid" basically, if possible. We'd like to be more self-sufficient and avoid GMO's and other additives in food at the stores nowadays if possible. We do everything backwards. We retired from Florida and moved north!!! We like land that isn't flat, mostly sand, and trees that have branches and leaves that change color in the fall! Anyway, I'd like to try my hand at raising just a few chickens, just two hens to start with because one would be lonely. Then later on, if I can handle that, I may get a rooster. I'm handicapped so I'm not sure how that will work out. I can stand and walk, but it's painful. For now I'm just trying to learn all I can about the design of a hen house (I'm sure hubby would rather build one than buy one) and all about different breeds of chickens.

My other project, if he ever gets my greenhouse together, is aquaponics. I think these sorts of things are labors of love and might actually keep us going, or I hope so!

Good luck with your venture!

Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by