Old Fashion meat chickens!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by prahatexas, Oct 25, 2011.

1. prahatexas

prahatexas New Egg

May 2, 2011
    I have some Leghorn x Rocks. will they make good meat chickens!!
    I also want to raise them the old fashion way for better flavor!
    Any suggestions!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They should be fine tasting bird. I don't like heritage bird raising. I can do CX's and Freedom Rangers for a shorter time.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're gonna be awfully skinny [​IMG] Unless you used show-bred birds.

4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:even then, it won't compare...

Ya they'll taste like chicken, good homegrown chicken.. and honestly anything you grow yourself, will always taste better than the store's...

but... ya, if you have more than 2 people eating at one time, you'd better cook up atleast 2 of those birds. 1 simpily wont' do.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    What exactly do you mean by the old fashioned way............... free range you mean ???. Yes they will be skinnier than twiggy on the catwalk LOL. You can't improve their meat quality because a good bird for meat has genetics and a regular cross such as this won't. just butcher a few more and you'll be great as will the flavor, just don't expect anything fabulous LOL.

6. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    I tried what your doing with rir x white rock.....they were tasty grown on organic food and pasture....but compared to cornish=x grown the same way ...i couldnt tell any more taste...just a bit drier meat and about 1/3 as much chicken...and it seemed like most of the less was breast meat.....the others are better foragers but cost almost twice per pound of meat....now if you were to make capons out of them and let them make it on their own for 6 months ...not much feed input at all...i dont know ...but a lot of work to make capons...good luck with growing your own ...i love to raise them and eat them...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by