'old fashioned' incubator.....erm..help needed - *pics*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Feb 16, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok so im hooked. i got my first incubator at xmas, set it up 19 days ago (so fingers crossed in 2 days we'll have chicks!!)

now ive just gotten an old 'cupboard' style incubator, holds about 50 eggs. theres a wire rack in there, metal dish for water, thermometer and lightbulbs. theres air holes in the top and bottom and a twisty knob thing on top....

so what do i do lol!

will go grab a photo in a minute...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

No idea how to work it but it sure is neat.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i really shouldnt have bought it (after OH spending €150 on a brinsea octagon with turner for me for christmas) but it was such a bargin (€30) so i just had to!

im guessing its home made, i dont see a 'make' or any name on it anywhere.....

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well its plugged in and all 4 bulbs work. temp is rising already (we're up to 25 degrees)

i just dont get what the spinny thing is for on the top? you can turn the knob which is attached to a disc inside, if you turn one way the disc comes higher up, if you twist the other the disc goes down towards a metal 'block' inside. any ideas?

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    If I'm not mistaken the spinny thing is a wafer thermostat. All my bators are electronic except for one and the thermostat is enclosed and I cannot see it. You may search wafer thermostats to get pics and see if that is it.

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Looks like it might be homemade, but its a nice one.

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    fantastic, that is what it is! thank you!!!!!

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i cant actually find any info on what i do with a wafer thermostat though.....i mean if i need to adjust it do i turn it clockwise/anti clockwise...?

10. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Very cool. I'd get it running with some rocks in there as stand in eggs to see if it can hold temp and humidity. Once you figure out if it works ok, I'd modify that tray to hold an auto egg turner then give it a try with real eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by